Best micarta finish ?

I'm making a campknife with black paper micarta scales, and I need your advice on how to finish those scales. The blade is mirror polished - I'm just not able to make a satinfinish :mad: .
Should I sand to 500 grit, or use fine steelwool or give it as good a polish as it will take :confused:

PK, I polish paper micarta, especially black paper micarta. I sand it thru 320 grit, buff it with white rouge, and then do some light polishing with pink no scratch.

If you want a satin finish, sand to 600 grit and blend with scotchbrite, either a belt if you have one, or a pad. I would use either fine, or medium.

I'll see if I can find those pads in the local hardware store and then I'll try on another blade -I have 7 left in this batch. The scales are going to be polished. Thanks guys.

Hej Per!

Jeg sliber til korn 400...ikke mere...det giver en god finish syntes jeg.

I handsand to grit 400....gives a nice and grippy surface.

For a polished scale finish, I go as far as I can by machine, then hand sand to 600 grit. I polish with a loose buffing wheel, loaded with white compound, which I think, is about 1000 grit. That will take it to a mirror finish on the scales. I use a light touch on the buffing wheel. Hope this helps.

Back