Best modern high end Katana

Hi dear friends of the forum

I'm interested in buying a live blade (shinken) katana. The choice is not a traditional Japanese made one but a modern/industrial technique ones.

Can you guys tell me what's the best, more sharp and hard modern katana brand there is?

I have heard the ones from cold steel are quite good but I want your expert opinion. Money is not an issue but I want the best product.

Thanks for the help and atention guys ;)

Waiting for your reply

Your friend

Paulo

Well since you're askin', the best one of those that I've ever seen and held was made by Dan Keffeler. Made like a proper, real katana, but had a titanium guard and hardware, and a blood-chilling blade made from very high-end steel.

It was a custom-made blade though, not a mass-production piece.

Hi dear friends of the forum, thanks for the quick reply ;)

Keffeler site doesn't work and I read he's not in business so my only option is Howard Clark.

What can you guys tell me about his L6 katana? What is your personal experience? How does it compare with a Paul Chen L6?

Again thanks for the time and atention guys ;)

Paulo

Hi dear friends of the forum, thanks for the quick reply ;)

Keffeler site doesn't work and I read he's not in business so my only option is Howard Clark.

What can you guys tell me about his L6 katana? What is your personal experience? How does it compare with a Paul Chen L6?

Again thanks for the time and atention guys ;)

Paulo

I am still making knives and swords. I have had to cut back on taking orders because of my school.
Dan

photo.jpg

Hi Dan and thanks for the quick reply.

What are the main differences between your swords and Howard Clarks? Your katanas are also in L6?

Finaly how long do you usually take to make a sword?

Again thanks for the time and attention

Paulo

edit... I love Dan's work but there won't be a hamon.. if that's important to you.

If you want to toe the line of traditional but more modern approaches and steel then the Howard Clark L6 might be the way to go.

Other modern western smiths work with semi-traditional idealogies but modern methods and steels..
There's a couple options for sale here.
http://www.legacyswords.com/fs_gen_swords.htm

Last edited:
Dan's work is top notch. He's a two-time Bladesports world champion, if you didn't know already, and his blades all CUT. He's got videos up of himself chopping down trees with the Super Assassin, and the Super Assassin Katana is incredible. Got to hold it myself, and man, that's a nice piece, if hefty.

One of the main reasons I'd get one of Dan's pieces over most any other modern katana-like offerings, is that his are just so darn tough, and yet are still top-notch cutters. Most of the blades designed for toughness sacrifice a lot in the cutting department, so it's rare to find one that will take a beating and still deliver, particularly in the sword-length range.

Dan's work is top notch. He's a two-time Bladesports world champion, if you didn't know already, and his blades all CUT. He's got videos up of himself chopping down trees with the Super Assassin, and the Super Assassin Katana is incredible. Got to hold it myself, and man, that's a nice piece, if hefty.

One of the main reasons I'd get one of Dan's pieces over most any other modern katana-like offerings, is that his are just so darn tough, and yet are still top-notch cutters. Most of the blades designed for toughness sacrifice a lot in the cutting department, so it's rare to find one that will take a beating and still deliver, particularly in the sword-length range.

Thanks a lot for the info buddy but how do they compare with Howard Clark's L6? By the way, Dan's blades are also L6?

Again thanks for the help and tips ;)

Thanks a lot for the info buddy but how do they compare with Howard Clark's L6? By the way, Dan's blades are also L6?

Again thanks for the help and tips ;)

Paulo
I make my swords out of the steel called CPM – 3V.
CPM 3V is a high toughness, wear-resistant tool steel made by the Crucible Particle Metallurgy process. It is designed to provide maximum resistance to breakage and chipping in a high wear-resistance steel. It offers impact resistance greater than A2, D2, Cru-Wear, or CPM M4, approaching the levels provided by S7 and other shock resistant grades. CPM 3V is intended to be used at 58/60 HRC in applications where chronic breakage and chipping are encountered in other tool steels, but where the wear properties of a high alloy steel are required.
Nominal Composition
Carbon 0.80%
Chromium 7.50%
Vanadium 2.75%
Molybdenum 1.30%
Typical Applications
Stamping or Forming Tools Punches and Dies
Blanking Tools Fineblanking Tools
Industrial Knives and Slitters Shear Blades
Scrap Choppers Rolls
Plastic Injection and Extrusion Feedscrews

Dan

There are many things being amalgamated into Dan's work;
the selection of steels (hell, he is the man when it comes to HT on 3v swords ) and grinds,details and finishing.
Coming from background of chiropractic, i could say he understood and applied human ergonomics into the entire blade, from handle to the balance and feel on hand to wielding it against cutting medium, all in one stroke.
It's like his signature Silverback- tough, intelligent yet sensible on the inside.

Is that your own work???
Nice work man! Loved that modern look and it's minimalist design.
Are you making more for sale?

Although an authentic samurai katana sword is expensive one but their are many various choices you can use. I will personally prefer a dragonfly katana sword, it has a thick, wide and heavy 1055 carbon steel blade. The handle of the sword features a distinctive teal-green silk cord-wrap and black samé (ray skin) with black iron furniture that bears the dragonfly motif.

Back