Best motor/vfd combo

After some research, I think for my 2x72 I'm going to go with the Oregon Blade Maker Chassis, and just need a VFD and motor. Was going to build one, but my time is limited, and this seems the best option in terms of price/value/time (although I am still open for suggestions).

First, should I go with a 220 or a 110 motor. I do have 1 220 outlet that my welder is hooked up to, although its a little far from where I want my grinder, so I would need an extension cord. 110 I could plug in anywhere.

Does anyone have recommendations for a motor and VFD? Trying to keep it under $400 for both, if I can.

Go with 220, you'll get more, cheaper options, and there is the added benefit of getting more hp per amp.

Ironhoarse motors from automation direct are good motors at a good price. I have there 3hp 3ph 3500rpm motor and love it. I'm running a KBAC-29 1P. It's a rather expensive VFD but you can most certainly find a cheaper one. I'm sure someone with actual experience with one will chime in.

I just set up a rotary switch for mine so I can run a a few machines all off the same drive without having to change plugs or anything. Right now i have my grinder and drill press which I just put a 1.5hp motor on I had laying around that's an open case. Getting ready to swap out the treadmill motor on my first grinder for another 3hp and build a disc grinder.

I said all of that to say this, it may be wise to plan for the future as far as the vfd goes. You may want to expand on what you can use it for. just food for thought.

Be aware the Iron horse motors are cheap, but Northern doesn't offer replacement parts and neither does anyone else I could find.
I've got a 5 hp 3ph Ironhourse in the shed that needs a new start switch.
Jim A.

3 ph motors don't have a start switch.... that must be a switch on the equip?

Be aware both of those teco VFD drives you linked to are NEMA 1 drives, NOT dust proof at NEMA 4X. If going with NEMA 1 drive I'd pick up a 3 hp Chinese VFD for $100 to $120 shipped, and a 2hp Ironhorse motor for $150 to $200 each.

Ken
you are absolutely correct, 3ph motors don't have start/run switches. My post should have said 2ph motor. But the point I was trying to make is IRONTON motors don't have any parts support. Thanks for correcting me.
Also a NEMA 1 enclosure can be located in a clean area and the the power cable and the (remote switch/speed control potentiometer box) can be run to the grinding area.
Jim

oregon grinder uses a direct drive so you need a face mount motor. look for 56C which will uses 5/8" drive shaft or 143/145TC which uses 7/8" drive shaft. get a 2Hp TECO or Marathon drive from Dealers Electric then go to the auction site that starts with 'E' and find a 56C or 143/145TC motor.

Back