Best Multitool Hands Down...

My favorite is the Leatherman Super Tool which has been sadly discontinued.

Can someone explain the difference between the old and new Leatherman Wave and why one might be better than the other?

The new Wave does not have anything even close to the fit and finish of the older model. The detents on the outside accessible blades are a terrible joke. The tools are bead blasted now, so they rust rather easily.

On the other side of the coin, the new Wave does not have the wobbly plier heads of the old model, the tools do not clump, and the new Wave also has a nice bit driver. It uses special Leatherman bits though, and does not have a very long reach.

The Supertool300 comes out this fall.

ST_300_open.jpg

ST_300_closed.jpg

I also prefered the old Waves to the new ones . An old Wave with a Universal Tool Adapter was a formidable set up . The new bits and bit driver are a PITA .

Chris

Like most of you I also have a bunch of different multi-tools, mainly Leatherman.
When I travel I take the charge with all of the extra bits, it's too heavy and bulky for EDC.
For EDC I carry the Gerber Suspension, it's not the most well built product out there but I use the pliers a lot and the sprung jaws make using the pliers a pleasure. More manufactuers should have this feature. I also like the fact that the implements open from the outside without having to open the handles.

I've got a new Surge and Wave, and my only gripe is that the edges of the handles are somewhat sharp and unfinished. Not sharp enough to slice, but just sharp enough to cause some slight discomfort. That was the one thing I love about my Super Tool 200, the handles are smooth and there are no rough edges. Gerbers are nice in that regard but I find the rust easily and the tools are all on the short end for my taste, especially the screw drivers. I'm looking forward to the Super Tool 300 release.

if only the tools on SOG were closed-accessible they'd be my all-time favorite multitool.
All multitools have pretty much the same tool line-up, so it really comes down to the pliers for me when buying a new one. i've got SOG, LM, Schrade, and i've tried out a Vic Spirit(don't OWN any Vic multipliers though i've been eyeing the swisstool X for a while), and the SOG pliers beat em all so far.
so right now i'd call it a tie between SOG and LM Wave. SOG for unbeatable pliers, Wave for one-handed blades

I currently own a Paladin Tools 540 PowerPlay Multi (SOG), a SwissTool, and a Gerber Compact. The Gerbers are suitable for very light-torque work and not much else. Since, I'm a Network Tech, I appreciate the dedicated punch tools on the Paladin. The compound pressure pliers are also a plus. After owning and using a SwissTool, It is by far, hands-down, the best made EDC implement.

Last edited:
The new Vic Spirit X is pretty hard to beat , the size to implement density is nice . That said , there's nothing wrong with the Standard Spirit or S model .

Chris

Best multitool hands down? - one of Victorinox Swiss Army knives.
I have to admit, I was one of those who belived that SAK is for boy scouts.
When I got my first SAK, becouse I thought knife collection can not be with out one, I was impressed with quality and than I found myself carring one all the time in place of others.
Not only do I find it usefull while camping, but just about in any situation. Even at home, after my wife's weekly kitchen redecorations :mad:, and not being able to find can opener, wine cork screw, or other things, I learned to depend on SAK.

that's what it's there for: chaotic situations when the established order is turned on its head, and the only thing between you and certain sobriety is your ever-dependable Swiss Army Knife. ;)

I love the SOG tools but its two heavy to carry. I have cut padlocks in half with the SOG when someone lost the key. I would say for EDC vic spirit or Leatherman Juice. I carry a juice s2 everyday and use it everyday.

The old Leatherman Wave, hands down.

I've worn out the original leather sheath and had to buy a new one.

I have carried it every day on my belt since it came out.

I recently bought a new 25th aniversery model, but like the old one better.

In reality I have never found a universal "best" tool. It is about what you are doing and what provides you with the best fit for that. First thing finish is never a consideration. A day on the farm turns most polished and nice looking tools into unpolished looking turds. In tools most of our tools are satin finished as they tolerate the wear better, multitools have the same problem.

Around the farm, it is usually a larger SOG that is carried since the compounding get very important.

At other work, it is not as needed so a juice usually an S2 occasionally a K4F is about the bet fit. Occasionally a Paladin fits in if out of the office.

In other non-work, non-farm occasions. The juice works nicely as does the skeletool and occasionally a pulse. It depends on the occasion.

So I find there is no universal best. Describe the use you have then bests are possible.

Back