Best non-chain Hamburger Place

The Scoreboard in Lime Ridge PA,you could spend a week in the area and never know it's there but all the locals do.If your ever traveling I80,it's only about 2 miles off either exit 241 or 242 along the river on the west side.It's a sports bar with televisions on every wall,they cook on a grill behind the bar,best steaks and burgers anywhere.I'll,hopefully,be getting back there again in the next week or 2.

Chatham Burgers in Chatham, Ontario, Canada.
Their pizza burger is tied for best I've ever had anywhere, and the 1 pound burger is filling and good. Juicy while being well-done.:thumbup:
Flame broiled right in plain view(no floor burgers:barf:), friendly staff, family run...what's NOT to like?

In Denton, Texas there are two locations for Denton Independent Hamburger Company - very good!

Paul

Out on the road to Squim, Washington (Olympic Peninsula) place called Fat Smitty's. Basic Dive with the best greasy food possible. Burgers are huge, messy and unforgettable!

the "special" at stanich's in portland, or. the original burger with canadian bacon and egg on it. not the biggest or messiest burger i've ever had, but definitely the best.

Winston

For a strictly non-chain hamburger, the big one locally is All-American Drive-In in Massapequa, NY.

I second this! :thumbup:

Decent milk shakes too, though, being a former Baskin Robbins and Carvel employee in my high school years, no one can make 'em like I can!

Dixy Maid in Atlanta Texas. The best thing about their burgers is. . . well I don't really know. Its just all good.

Well, this is a very small chain, so it might not fit the thread exactly, but if you get up to the Akron-Canton area in Ohio, try SWENSONS! Fantastic cheeseburgers.

Id give Paul's Place the nod for NYC. I dunno what makes them so good but so far all the people I've brought there or recommended the place to have gone back for more so they must be doing something right.

Do American hand-crafted burgers tend to be all beef, or beef-pork mix? Or other variations? I wondered about it because the chains always just use beef(legal, sanitation, religious issue?), but I sure appreciate a burger with a little something else mixed in.

Hamburger Hamlet in Bethesda, MD, IME, has the best burgers not cooked on my very own charcoal grill.

The ambiance is sort of like a relaxed steak house, where the main dish is...burgers. I'd rate the burgers a few (ok, more than a few) notches above anything I've had at Friday's, Bennigan's, Ruby Tuesday, etc., while costing only a dollar or two more for anything comparable.

I believe HH may have one or two more sister restaurants in the DC/Baltimore area, but I wouldn't count that as a chain in the same sense as TGIF or the others.

Also, if anyone knows where to get the best onion rings in any of those 3 towns, that would be great. My mom LOVES onion rings.
As a matter of fact I do know where to get some pretty good onion rings in Fredericksburg. It's a date. :D

Last edited:
Jay's Resturant in Liberty, ind.......His Jay burger is the best...Period..............carl

Two of the three places that had the best burgers that I ever had in Florida are no longer with us because the land that they were sitting on down in Miami eventually became too valuable. Thurmans in South Miami went away in the 80's and The Ludway in West Miami lasted until the late 90's. Thurmans made huge burgers and was the first place I had a burger served on a kaiser roll. Ludway was a dive that only served draft Miller, smoked fish, bags of chips and peanuts and hamburgers and you when you ordered a burger, you had to wait until the crusty old owner had enough orders to fill up the grill surface. But they were so good, that bankers from downtown Miami would take a long lunch and drive the 6 miles to eat there. The third place is El Cap here in St. Petersburg and it is still alive and kicking.

Where is this place located, TJ? I'll search it out and give you an update. :)

Sloopy's, if it is still there, is located on Highland Avenue, just a couple of blocks south of Rosecrans, on the east side. Rustic wood decor - outdoor dining. It is the very first place I saw when we moved to Manhattan Beach in 1965.

And if you are in the area, and you enjoy Mexican food, there is a place called "El Tarasco" that makes awesome food for great prices. There used to be one on Rosecrans just east of Highland on the south side.

I don't know if Fat Burger is still there - but it used to be on the same block as El Tarasco.

AND......another great place in Manhattan Beach, called "Grunion's." Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches to die for!!! It is on Pacific Coast Highway (Sepulveda), about 2+ block north of Manhattan Beach Blvd on the west side - kind across the street from a car dealership. If I remember correctly, there is a KFC next door, and if you turn west on the street next to KFC, then turn south on the first street and on the left there is the rear parking lot to Grunion's. The side door to Grunion's is on the south side of the building. You should see numerous Sun Tea jars sitting out near the door. Darts, pool, Skeeball, etc.

For breakfast, Uncle Bill's Pancake House if it is still there. It is on Highland Avenue, about 2-3 short blocks north of MBB, on the west side.

As a matter of fact I do know where to get some pretty good onion rings in Fredericksburg. It's a date. :D

Awesome!!!

My mom will be soooo excited. Do they also make vanilla milkshakes? Our date is on the 6th, correct? Looking forward to it!!!

Sloopy's, if it is still there, is located on Highland Avenue, just a couple of blocks south of Rosecrans, on the east side. Rustic wood decor - outdoor dining. It is the very first place I saw when we moved to Manhattan Beach in 1965.

And if you are in the area, and you enjoy Mexican food, there is a place called "El Tarasco" that makes awesome food for great prices. There used to be one on Rosecrans just east of Highland on the south side.

I don't know if Fat Burger is still there - but it used to be on the same block as El Tarasco.

AND......another great place in Manhattan Beach, called "Grunion's." Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches to die for!!! It is on Pacific Coast Highway (Sepulveda), about 2+ block north of Manhattan Beach Blvd on the west side - kind across the street from a car dealership. If I remember correctly, there is a KFC next door, and if you turn west on the street next to KFC, then turn south on the first street and on the left there is the rear parking lot to Grunion's. The side door to Grunion's is on the south side of the building. You should see numerous Sun Tea jars sitting out near the door. Darts, pool, Skeeball, etc.

For breakfast, Uncle Bill's Pancake House if it is still there. It is on Highland Avenue, about 2-3 short blocks north of MBB, on the west side.

Thanks! :) I'll check it out and report back.

El Tarasco is definitely still there. In fact, they now have several locations in the South Bay - one in Redondo which is even closer to me. And I don't know that I've seen a Fat Burger recently near Highland and Rosecrans. We have a chain of Fat Burger restaurants throughout the South Bay now. Not sure if they just expanded their operations and moved on, or if we're talking apples and oranges.

Thanks! :) I'll check it out and report back.

El Tarasco is definitely still there. In fact, they now have several locations in the South Bay - one in Redondo which is even closer to me. And I don't know that I've seen a Fat Burger recently near Highland and Rosecrans. We have a chain of Fat Burger restaurants throughout the South Bay now. Not sure if they just expanded their operations and moved on, or if we're talking apples and oranges.

Yeah, El Tarasco moves. There used to be on in El Segundo also. I also think the one on Rosecrans moved. Rent must have gotten pretty steep on that corner.

Fat Burger has been around the area for a long time. There was on on PCH near PV Drive West in Redondo Beach. There was an awesome Fat Burger somewhere near La Tierra and La Cienega - Things have really changed in the South Bay area since I moved away in '88.

There used to be a really good hamburger place in El Segundo, in the 100 blck of Main Street, west side. Excellent burgers. Right near El Segundo Blvd. I don't remember the name.

Back