Best Outdoor/Survival knife

The ESEE blades seem to have been recommended a lot, but you can add one more +1 for them. The ESEE-4 is my favorite, but the 6 is an excellent blade if you want a larger blade.

Saws are definitely a gimmick in my opinion so I would pass on them as mentioned.

A good knife and a multi-tool are a very universal set, pair that with an axe or machete depending on your location and you will be good to go.

Look forward to seeing what you end up with.

i settled on the knife. ESEE-6 and an small axe (did not decide which one yet) if anyone has any idea please tell me

i know i need also multitool or a SAK. Problem is the multitool that i want to get is military and does not have scissors.

the one i want to get is "Leatherman 850022 MUT Military Multi Tool with Sheath" it is said that it can be used to clean guns and adjust them, but i think it is only for M16,M4 and etc.

does anyone know if it is actually useful for cleaning other guns?

Any advice?

I just picked up a MUT. IMO, it can be useful for other firearms. It has an adapter for a cleaning rod and the carbon scraper can used on other rifles and handguns. I was able to cut 3/32" diameter stainless steel rod with the hard wire cutters and the hammer feature works. I hammered a nail into a 2X4 without a problem. The saw blade is great. Plenty of options with the driver bits.
If you want a large size Leatherman with scissors, go for the Surge.
Scott

I just picked up a MUT. IMO, it can be useful for other firearms. It has an adapter for a cleaning rod and the carbon scraper can used on other rifles and handguns. I was able to cut 3/32" diameter stainless steel rod with the hard wire cutters and the hammer feature works. I hammered a nail into a 2X4 without a problem. The saw blade is great. Plenty of options with the driver bits.
If you want a large size Leatherman with scissors, go for the Surge.
Scott

Yes i was looking at Leatherman MUT too, and was wondering how useful is it around weapons?
leatherman MUT does not have a lot of functions of Leatherman Surge that i wanted to get.
I think i should just get Leatherman Surge and later for weapons get a kit together with tools.

Advice?

It sounds like the Surge would be the way to go. I have one of those also and it has alot more useful tools for outdoor use. Plus they are less expensive.
Scott

It sounds like the Surge would be the way to go. I have one of those also and it has alot more useful tools for outdoor use. Plus they are less expensive.
Scott

Thank you.:) I've been thinking about a newer SAK. Sounds like the Surge is the way to go.

When i was looking to buy ESEE-6. it is said that it is $110 for the blade and about $80 more for the some fancy holder. Is this a normal price for ESEE-6? is someone knows were to buy it online?

Thank you.:) I've been thinking about a newer SAK. Sounds like the Surge is the way to go.

The Surge is great. I have MANY Leathermans and rotate them every once in awhile. My favorite is the Supertool 200 which I carry the most. Along with the original Supertool.
Scott

When i was looking to buy ESEE-6. it is said that it is $110 for the blade and about $80 more for the some fancy holder. Is this a normal price for ESEE-6? is someone knows were to buy it online?

You're saying the ESEE6 is $190? If you live in the US/Canada, that is too much. I am not sure about the other countries, though.

I just want to add that overall some great advise was given on this thread . Man this is what Blade Forum is all about . You can always check out the exchange for some great deals . I do have on thing to add I have a friend who has been an axe man for years and I gave him Becker7 and he is in love with it . He said he can do every thing he needs with it , chop, baton and food prep. While I agree this is a great knife I would pair it with a smaller blade 3.5 inch or so maybe piggyback it with a couple of ranger bands. Good luck it is a great journey looking for the perfect knife.

For that kind of money I would say order a Busse Boss Jack and a small folding saw.

As a result of my nearly 30 years of experience w/edged 'things', i'm prefer a long-ish blade (up to about 10") for bigger tasks (batoning/shelter-making) paired with a smaller blade (2 1/2" - 3 1/2") for smaller tasks (food prep, etc).

I've sorta come full-circle starting out w/ a 7 1/2" blade, getting some formal survival education (US Army SERE style) and going to the more popular smaller blade size and now realize the huge versatility of a combined strategy.

I'll also carry a small, folding saw depending on my mood at the time (mainly to get wood to a reasonable length) and always have a Leatherman Wave multi-tool. I EDC all these except the saw and am used to their weight.

I'm very careful w/large swath cutting tools (axes/hatchets/machetes) b/c i experienced a very nasty cut w/a machete when i was a young lad working in the forest downing pine for rough-saw building material (i was a good ways from home). Since then i've been much less inclined to use large, hard-to-control swinging movements when i'm far from home. Splitting wood near the barn is one thing - hacking away 3 miles from the road is something different - you can loose ALOT of blood in 3 miles.

I'm very familiar with using axes, hatchets, machetes, but am also acutely aware of the danger of one, single unexpected, distracted split-second while swinging something with such force. With a long knife it's easier to control powerful chopping motions b/c the edge is in closer proximity to the hand swinging it.

fmajor007, good post and definitely something I've thought of swinging my machete and axes in my back yard, no less out there in the tinderland.

Thankyou;
Vin

I prefer knives in the 4.5 to 6" range for carrying when hiking, camping and general woods bumming. The Blade(s) I choose for each trip depend a lot on my mood and where I'll be. Even if I have say a Western L36 5" Bowie, there is a good chance that my SOG Seal revolver is some where in my pack. IMO the SOG Revolvers make great Wilderness/Hunting/Survival knives. Have had my Seal Revolver since they first came out in 2003 and have a Hunter Revolver on order.

With an Esee-6 and Axe you'll have most of your bases covered. I'd add either a folding saw or Machete to the combo depending on your enviroment.

Back