Best pocket / pouch saw?

For those that have owned some pocket saw's (e.g.the Silky Folding saw) what have you used and what do you think is good?

Please recommend something you have tested and tried - as opposed to simply owned.

Thanks!

TF

I have a Bahco Laplander saw, and I like it very much. I have not made extensive comparisons against others. But, I have owned two vintages of Gerber saws and a Browning folder (which I am sure was made by someone else). I hands down like the Bahco better than those ones, but there are still other goods ones out there (like the Silky) that I do not have experience with. I have used a silky briefly and was highly impressed with its construction. But did not use it enough to get a good feel for it.

B

+1 for the Bahco Laplander, I love mine. I've thought about getting a Silky, but only for something with a little bit more blade length. Like Brian I've briefly used a Silky before, but not enough to comment on it.

ive had the gerber with the orange knob and found that the knob would come loose when the saw would get stuck....then i tightened it so hard i messed up the threads. other than that it worked great.

i currently use a bahco that is a tad shorter than the laplander (i dont need a bunch of fire in hawaii). it has been great! i slice though forearm sized branches like butter. it did cost $40 to get to me....shoulda got a silky.

i did use a silky polesaw for work (landscape maint) that thing was the sharpest polesaw ive ever used. id cut through areca palm fronds with 1/4 of the blade. that polesaw lasted 2 years of everyday HARD use longest ive ever seen.

nice thing about the silkys is that they come with different teeth sizes. when i buy another saw it will be a silky.

I have a Corona folding saw. Corona is a company that makes pruning & yard care products. I love the way it cuts. very aggressive cutter. 9" closed, with a 7.5" blade. red & black handle with the blade cutting when the saw is pulled. price is about $24.00. I got mine at a salvage store for $11.00. the saw has a very good lock up at the front of the blade.

The Bahco / Kershaw folding saws are excellent - light weight and simply tear through wood. :thumbup:

IMG_1316.jpg

I've used folding saws from Gerber, Corona, and Silky. The Gerber was the worst I've used so I purchased a Corona and I thought it was a great saw. I recently purchased a Silky super Acel 210 just to see what all the fuss was about and I'm glad I did. That saw does not bind, cuts super easy, and does not get warm. I really am puzzled about the last part, which seems to indicate that there is no friction on the blade and the wood it cuts. I've used it now on two outings in which I cut about 15 to 20 logs with an average of 8" logs. I tested the corona again and it cut decently, yet binded on me every now and again. The silky performed flawlessly.
I'm really impressed by that saw. It's way more in price than any other saw I've used, but justified imo.

Another thumbs up on the Silky super Accel. I have a corona also but favor the Silky. Really cuts good.
16m9cva.jpg

I've had pretty good luck with the fiskars/gerber sliding saw, but due to poor technique on my part, it does bind on occasion.

I have the Gerber Gator Exchange-a-Blade Saw, the Sawvivor, and the Silky 210 Super Accel. I find myself using the Silky more than the other two. I find it to be faster and it take less effort to use it.

I have only owned the Bahco-Laplander but I see no need to try others. For such a compact saw, it rips thru wood pretty darn good. Seeing as I don't use a saw often, I'm fine with what I have. Rides well in the pocket.

Another happy Bahco Laplander owner here - mine is the orange handled one. Light and fast. Cuts clean, minimal clogging.

I've used it a LOT for forearm sized branches for pruning (one handed whilst climbing). It performs so well, at a great price from my local hardware store that I've no real inclination to try the Silky's which cost at least twice as much (in New Zealand.)

They someones come in a twin blade kit - I think you'll be happy if you get one!

4344459730_cb68f911ec.jpg
[/IMG]

I have not tried the silkies but I love this saw. I am a carpenter and carry one in my nail bags. I use it every day, I can't count the times that I needed to cut 1 or 2, 2x4's and was 200 feet away from a power saw. This thing eats em like butter. As long as I don't hit nails or concrete the blade lasts me a year. Then I just go to Sears and they hand me a new one.

It is also awesome out in the woods, I clear shooting lanes and cut camp wood all the time. I have one in every pack and BOB and one in my truck and one in my snowmobile. For $20 you can't beat it, plus it comes with a clip on pouch. By the way other than the silkies I have tried most of them out there. Gerber, sierra, corona, and China.

The Silky Pocketboy 130 will fit in your pocket. Id suggest the Med or Lrg teeth.

They are the small ones in this pic.

silk1.jpg

The Silky Pocketboy 130 will fit in your pocket. Id suggest the Med or Lrg teeth.

They are the small ones in this pic.

silk1.jpg

You are a maniac with all those saws. I'm over the fence now and starting to accumulate saws also. Are those Silky BIGBOY's in the middle?

The silky and the Laplander are the cream of the crop. I have tested probably tested ten different ones

Back