"Best Quality Ironwood Burl" ?

I received a request for a Bowie knife with a "best quality Ironwood Burl" handle. I have not worked with Ironwood yet. I asked him what he considers "best quality" but I am waiting for his response. For my own edification, could you users and collectors of Ironwood handled blades please show examples of what you consider "best quality" and explain a bit what it is that makes it so? I spoke with a well known dealer at a show one time who advised me to use lighter grain as it will darken over time. Is this a valid concern? Anything I should look for or stay away from? Also, Ironwood burl can be linear in grain direction or convoluted or ringed within the description of Ironwood Burl. Does it matter or would you stay with the swirlier pieces if "burl" was requested?

Thanks

I received a request for a Bowie knife with a "best quality Ironwood Burl" handle. I have not worked with Ironwood yet. I asked him what he considers "best quality" but I am waiting for his response. For my own edification, could you users and collectors of Ironwood handled blades please show examples of what you consider "best quality" and explain a bit what it is that makes it so? I spoke with a well known dealer at a show one time who advised me to use lighter grain as it will darken over time. Is this a valid concern? Anything I should look for or stay away from? Also, Ironwood burl can be linear in grain direction or convoluted or ringed within the description of Ironwood Burl. Does it matter or would you stay with the swirlier pieces if "burl" was requested?

Thanks
Special request like this I have the customer secure the handle materials and send them to me.

This has ironwood scales. I've had it for maybe 10 years. It has gotten a little darker over time. In my experience William Henry uses high quality materials.

6C224F89-D134-498E-B8D4-DC39E423FF55.jpg

I made a handle with it about 5 years ago. It looked amazing with figure and contrast, but there is no doubt it has darkened considerably. I don't store it with much light exposure either. Short of resanding it it's not going to look the same. I don't know if there is a wax or finish that would help significantly..

Different people use diffrent criteria to describe their top tier pieces. On my website I just use regular and Best, but exhibtion/ mastergrade/ 5A/ presentation grade and so on, none of them have any real meaning. Just ways to say it's above average figure. One guys 5a is another's presentation and so on.

top tier ironwood burl is nice but as pointed it trends towards black surprisingly quickly.

Amboyna burl, Afzelia xylay/ Afzelia burl, figured rosewood would be other woods in the same teir that hold color much longer.

Last edited:
I like my regular desert ironwood to have a bunch of contrast to it... But when it comes to burl, I like my DI on the lighter side, but with lots of figure. I'm definitely nowhere close to being an expert on wood though, that's just my preference.

This is the best looking piece of DI burl I have on hand.
EC4p6x8.jpg

And here's an example of what I like in a non-burl DI (disregard the one on the far right).
IkQyhk8.jpg

Like Adam I've had the customer pick the handle material before when they want something special. Done this many many times. Works good. I'd send the customer the website of the supplier they'd do the shopping but before pulling the trigger I'd have them send me the link of the their selection to make sure sizes were good and no obvious defects that might affect integrity. After checking it out I'd tell em ok and they would buy it and have it dropped shipped to me. It's sometimes hard to envision someone else's vision. This takes all the visioning guess work out.

Here's some pieces I'm looking forward to using

Back