Best selling knives are?

Figured the PM 2/3 but guessing someone(s) has access to the real world figures here.

The models that have been made/sold for many years (some since the late 80's/early 90's), modified/improved in one way or another over mulitple generations and/or are have been or are currently offered in mulitiple variations.

Those that come to mind (including but not limited to and in no particular order) are:

Police (1/2/3/4)
Military
Para Military (1/2/3)
Native (1/2/3/4/5)
Sage (1/2/3/4)
Chaparral
Delica (1/2/3/4)
Dragonfly (1/2)
Tenacious
Endura (1/2/3/4)
Manix (1/2)
Shaman

Since it's a private company, I doubt Sal will release any actual sales data but you could always ask him if he would be willing to tell you which he considers his "best sellers."

Last edited:
Best selling in what sense? If it is the total number sold, it's probably the cheaper ones. If it is how fast it is sold at dealers, it's hot sprint runs like Z-wear Shaman.

I would guess Tenacious or Delica. Paramilitary 2 has got to be leading the US made range--just look at the sheer numbers of exclusives and sprints.

Several years back, Sal mentioned the C07 Police Model had been in the top ten sellers for twenty years. It probably wouldn't have stayed in production for 36 years if it wasn't selling well.

#4 & #8 response both say Police Model, kinda surprising to me since the blade length is technically over 4", thought most Spyderco buyers liked the shorter & lighter models(knife laws etc). I do really like the Police Models though(mostly due to its larger size etc).

#4 & #8 response both say Police Model, kinda surprising to me since the blade length is technically over 4", thought most Spyderco buyers liked the shorter & lighter models(knife laws etc). I do really like the Police Models though(mostly due to its larger size etc).

Not everyone lives with length limits, and not all that do pay any attention to them. The stainless Police model has appeared in many movies and tv shows. For a lot of folks, it is the mental image conjured by the word "Spyderco". I know a few L.E.O.s that have carried them on duty for many years, and they want another just like it when their old one gets lost or broken. Trusted gear is trusted.

Don't know, but I would think the Endura may be best seller. It's been around for a long time, and it's offered at a great price.

Interesting, but was wondering what the best seller in the line up was, longest in production?

As the long list of discontinued Spydero models and variations of existing models suggests, they wouldn't keep making them if they didn't continue to make $ (or at least as much $ as they need/want to make) doing so.

Just makes common sense that the ones they been producing the longest would be the most profitable (at least over the entire period of production) but, as Sal mentioned, which one is the most profitable at any particular time will vary.

The C08 Harpy has been running continuously since 1987, yet it is admittedly a niche model. Volumes are not high, but it serves a specific role. Frankly, I'm surprised the Tasman Salt hasn't supplanted it completely, but some folks just won't accept FRN.

The C08 Harpy has been running continuously since 1987, yet it is admittedly a niche model. Volumes are not high, but it serves a specific role. Frankly, I'm surprised the Tasman Salt hasn't supplanted it completely, but some folks just won't accept FRN.

I agree that the C08 Harpy is a niche product and certainly not a high volume seller for the company but, if they didn't make $ on it, I'm still certain that they would have stopped making it long ago.

As an aside, it's also not clear (at least on SpydieWiki) that the C08 Harpy has been in continuous production since 1987; at least not named the Harpy.

In 1993-94, Spyderco produced the C21 Merlin but then they renumbered it the C08 Merlin (not the Harpy) but then again later they dropped the Merlin name and resumed calling it the C08 Harpy.

The timeline for all of these changes, as reported on SpydieWiki is uncertain and very confusing. :confused:

However, I do note that there are those who collect the C08 Merlin as opposed to the C08 Harpy.

Absent the box, how they can tell the differences (which apparently are very subtle) between the the C08 Merlin and C08 Harpy, I do not know and do not care to learn.

I'm just happy to know that I have an authentic C21S Merlin (fully serrated FRN w/the plastic molded clip) that I purchased myself back in 1993-94 for SD.

LOL! ;)

Last edited:
I agree that the C08 Harpy is a niche product and certainly not a high volume seller for the company but, if they didn't make $ on it, I'm still certain that they would have stopped making it long ago.

As an aside, it's also not clear (at least on SpydieWiki) that the C08 Harpy has been in continuous production since 1987; at least not named the Harpy.

In 1993-94, Spyderco produced the C21 Merlin but then they renumbered it the C08 Merlin (not the Harpy) but then again later they dropped the Merlin name and resumed calling it the C08 Harpy.

The timeline for all of these changes, as reported on SpydieWiki is uncertain and very confusing. :confused:

However, I do note that there are those who collect the C08 Merlin as opposed to the C08 Harpy.

Absent the box, how they can tell the differences (which apparently are very subtle) between the the C08 Merlin and C08 Harpy, I do not know and do not care to learn.

I'm just happy to know that I have an authentic C21S Merlin (fully serrated FRN w/the plastic molded clip) that I purchased myself back in 1993-94 for SD.

LOL! ;)

I believe the FRN Merlin/Harpy ran concurrently with the stainless model. Similar examples can be found with the Delica and Endura, both of which originally had a different model number for the SS version, but later changed to using the same model number as the FRN versions, just using a different SKU.

Another interesting question is what would sell best if everything would be in stock all the time. Many settle for something else when what they really want is not available.

Back