Best small, stainless pocket knife

Something a bit different: Fallkniven U2.
Not strictly traditional, but is a back lock with nail nick opening.
3G steel is a stunning modern laminated SS blade. lightweight with rounded corners, very pocket friendly. Comfortable in the hand.

A modern knife that I think gives a nod to traditionals, rather than trying to be the latest fashion.

If you like it really small, the Northwoods Mini-Moose is a delicious knife : ATS34 steel, convex ground by Bark River and some of the most authentic Ebony scales provided today. If you like it really tough and basic, I suppose there might be a stainless Douk-Douk (squirrel stamped, for example) in 3 1/2" closed length.

Good Gracious, how could I forget to mention the Spyderco Grasshopper ! Talk about getting a lot of knife in a small size and at a ridiculous price ! A winner all through if you're into very small, indeed, but a real knife. Enjoy !

I have a Case Mini Copperhead in Blue Bone. Mine is a great example of what Case can do. But the SS blades are a little soft. The edges start to roll after just a few uses but can be steeled back to sharp with ease.

That's the one issue I have with Case's SS. I really wish they would run it a couple points harder.

I have a Buck 309 somewhere. It IS a great little knife. I'm not sure if the newer ones are quite as 'strongly made' as the older models that Camillus made for Buck back in the '70s or so, but IMO,it's one of the best pen knife models for EDC.

Jim

My 309 brothers have been jumping into the fire. Well, here is the one I would get while you figure out if you want something else. This is a group of the new brass bolstered, rosewood scaled Buck folders. The 309 is in the middle. Bucks 420HC, brass bolsters and rosewood scales, SS liners and springs. There you go.......300Bucks

If you are willing to go a tiny bit over 3", you might find other interesting choices.
But, for 3" closed or less, Victorinox is a great option, the Buck 309 is very nice and well made (although I'm not a fan of the blade grind), and the Case peanut is one of this forum's favourite. Yet, although I never handled one, I would pick the AG Russell pinched peanut and be happy ;)

Fausto
:cool:

Another vote for the mini copperhead. I chose the one in this photo for my "three knives for the rest of 2013" experiment.

100_2347_zps1c5164f0.jpg

It is a nice size for most non-survivalist tasks such as trimming plastic and paper, cutting string and tape, opening Priority Mail boxes with new knives in them, light whittling, trimming fingernails and so forth.

Ed J

I love my Northwoods Mini-Moose in ATS-34. It cuts like a laser. Don't even know it is in your pocket.

moose_3__20485.1376523119.730.500.jpg

Although ^that^ is one gorgeous knife, I'm going to say the mini copperhead too. It's just my favorite little knife.

edc093010.jpg

I've been wanting to pick up one of these.

http://www.agrussell.com/queen-two-blade-wharncliffe/p/QUhhhAG46RH/

D2, if you don't know, is considered "semi-stainless", having a bit less chromium than true stainless steels, but way more than carbon or alloy steels, and enough to prevent it from rusting when you look at it cross-eyed. Very wear resistant.

Also from AG Russell, but not exactly traditional, check out his Ultimate Pen Knife, 3" lockback, and even his "funny folder". Small, lightweight, and premium materials.

Back