Best Spyderco for EDC?

Hello.
I only have a nice purple Ladybug that I EDC on my keys. That little masterpiece opened my appetite for just one bigger blade for EDC. I found an Endura 4 Full Flat Ground and I'm waiting for it but I wonder, which is the best Spyderco for everyday carry? I have hard copies of 2013 product guides and there is a great selection of knives that perplex me.
I am thinking that I don't like combo blades and plain is more versatile than serrated, unless I have both (which I do, on my Leatherman Surge). I like pointed blades and drop point is nice, with clip point second. I choose my Opinels at #8 and I always have other 8cm (Surge) and smaller (Victorinox 91 & 58mm and Ladybug) blades with me, so something a bit longer would add options. I don't use my knives brutally and I have more than one at any time, so there's no need for exotic steel. I don't like black blades, unless they come from BÖC. I need some locking mechanism. One hand opening is a must, one hand closing preferable. Flat is needed (or else I'd use an Opi) and lightweight also (otherwise I'd use an Opi). I would prefer something that looks peaceful. I might use it for food and save it from dirty mail and packages (Ladybug does that). I won't dive with it but I need stainless.
What's your opinion? Is the Endura a good choice?

What are you going to do with the knife......?

What size knife are you comfortable carrying, the list of questions goes on and on and on.

Most of us have a lot of different Spydies for different uses.

Once you've narrowed it down to the size, there are still Lots of knives in most sizes..... Not much help, but you have to narrow it down a little before we can

help you.

First of all, I want to have it and play with it.
Then I want to use it for general tasks. Cutting food, rope, cardboard etc.
No specialized survival, rescue, fighting or camping properties but it should be able to be used that way (bare essentials), just in case. Pocket clip and fitting in jeans pocket, no pouch. 8-10cm blade length. Just a nice knife. For the rest I'll use my Swisschamp or Surge.

I have a ffg Endura 4 and it makes a fantastic carry knife. I will admit, I don't use it much in front the gp as some would be spooked if I pulled it out for common everyday kinda stuff, so I also carry a sheeple friendly blade, but when a bigger blade is needed it has never let me down. just last week i used it to help my buddy clean a stringer full of walleye and it made for a darn good filet knife.

An Endura or Delica are hard to beat for EDC. If you start to get a little picky about ergonomics you may want to check out the Stretch or even the Caly 3.5. Those two models are still pretty light weight, slim and offer great slicing ability.

+1 on any of the recommendations above. I'd also like to throw the Manix or Gayle Bradley into the mix. Both are rock solid. The Gayle is a bit more expensive but not at all unreasonable for what you get , plus Cpm-M4 is just great.

From your description, Tenacious is right on and a good choice for the budget. If larger is needed, Resilience. I chose Resilience.

I say Manix. I like big blades so I carry a Manix XL, but the ergo's are similar. Its a great, light weight blade, perfect for EDC.

All suggested blades look great (surprised nobody mentioned Police, Military or Paramilitary). I'll play with my Endura and then I might get a linerlock or ball bearing folder.

Just my opinion, but nothing beats the PM2 with regard to price/performance. Even with a bunch of sprints, the one I use most is a PM2/S30V which can be had for a decent price when you find one. If budget is truly your concern, go with the Endura which is a great value, but the PM2 is a MAJOR upgrade IMHO.

way too wide of a question. hell, even two people working the same exact job might prefer vastly different knives.

if all you do is open packages and break down boxes a Dragonfly might be your best bet. zdp steel if you know how to sharpen hard steels, vg10 or h1 otherwise. If you're going to add food prep in there you'll want more blade, if you wear gloves you want more handle, etc...

Endura 4 is a great EDC knife, so is the Manix 2 lightweight. If you want a larger blade check out a Paramilitary 2.

I love my Endura, but my Tenacious is beautiful too. The G10 handle is better than the Endura's FRN, in my opinion. But either should suit you just fine. I have a lightweight Manix 2 on the way, I believe, if I can get customs to release it. I am hopeful :). I have also had a Dragonfly, which was more knife than something that size had any right to be. I'm with NateReed, all of them are good.

Since you want a bigger blade, I'll have to say the Endura was a great choice. The full flat grind is so practical and the extra length is great for food, like cutting bread rolls for an example. The FRN scales with nested, skeletonized liners keep the price and the weight down also.

Back