Best Spyderco to 3D Print Handles? (How does the Squarehead liner attach?)

So my brother is planning to 3D print some handles for a Spyderco. I'm trying to think of what would be the best option.

Shouldn't be:

- a knife with a lanyard tube
- a compression or other nested / complicated lock
- a super expensive knife (over $150)

Possible options:

- Squarehead FRN
- Police 4 Lightweight (just a great design and long handle for writing / designs)
- Chaparral FRN (very practical but not too big for designs etc.)

I think the Squarehead is an awesome possibility, but I'm not sure how the liner attaches to the handle. How does it attach, other than the pivot pin?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Wouldn't the use of 3D printing make it easier to make scales with nested liners?

I'd probably start with a Delica, Dragonfly, or something similar. You might even find it easier to design something for one of the linerless models.

I'm into 3D printing and I'm getting pretty good at it. Getting pretty good at 3D modeling too. I'm making single shot adapters for .22 rifles at the moment. I briefly thought about making knife handles but, while it might be a fun project, I can't see how I'm going to improve on what's already available from the factory or aftermarket vendors. One thing for your brother to consider is what material to use. PLA is available in the widest variety of colors but don't leave the knife in a hot car for very long because it will warp. PETG or ABS might be your best bet but harder to work with and limited colors available. I'll be interested to see what your brother comes up with.

Something you might find interesting is that I've seen Sal mention they use a SLA 3D printer to make handles for their new model prototypes. That's my new dream job. Move to Golden, work with Eric and the guys to help create new designs, and 3D print their prototypes. I'd actually enjoy going to work each morning. :)

Back