1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 4 of the BladeForums 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade Limited Edition 319DLC-1801 Proper, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday January 26!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Matt "Charlie Mike" Freeman passed away unexpectedly last weekend. We have various threads posted in both the General & Community forums, please share your memories:

RIP Charlie Mike

A Go Fund Me has been started to help cover his funeral expenses: https://www.gofundme.com/cmftw-for-matt-f

Best steel for straight razors? Stainless?

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by Done_Swimmin, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Done_Swimmin

Done_Swimmin

Mar 20, 2014
    Hi All
    Anyone have experience with different steels?
    Is high carbon worth the extra maintenance or will a stainless give good results and avoid the daily oiling?
    Peter

2. Bill3152

Bill3152

Nov 27, 2018
    Carbon steel is more thAn adequate for straight razors. I get about 100 shave s per hone. i do use flax linen and leather to strop. Don't be afraid of.Chinese steel. Gold dollar or zy razors work quite well. I use clippercide spray after drying and stropping.

eKretz likes this.
  3. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    The individual razor will have a greater effect on its shaving than the steel category. Of my straights I think I have two that would be considered a stainless, although they are not really by modern standards. I only have one that has patina like a true carbon steel, and I have six shavers at the moment. Its a spectrum when it comes to vintage straights.
    Basically you are making the same compromises that are always made, ease of honing, or edge life. A wipe dry and a post shave strop is really all that's needed in most cases. If you live in a high humidity area you may need to do more, but not likely a lot.
    If you are going for new, then proper heat treat, clean grind, and a straight spine are going to matter far more. Blade shape and weight have a greater effect on the shave than the steel does, and so I would focus on those variables first to find out what shaves best for you.

4. Bill3152

Bill3152

Nov 27, 2018
    Just want to add that the edge put on the razor is far more relevant than the type of steel.

eKretz likes this.