Best stone for thinning primary grind?

I've thinned a couple knives my hand recently, and enjoyed it. I've been using a 120 grit naniwa traditional stone. It does ok, but I'd like to find something even coarser for this purpose alone.

I realize a belt sander is the optimal tool for the job, but that's not practical for me at the moment.

I'm having trouble finding anything online. The Baryonyx manticore looks like a good option, as does the American mutt, but the mutt is sold out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

I would look at 120 grit Metallic CBN stone they are great stones and will last a few years before needing to be refreshed.

If you want to post your email I can send you a link to a few places to get them and you can also checkout Gritomatic as well they should be on his website under Poltava Diamond Tools,.

Depending on how much you want to spend try looking at Congress Tools for a Silicon Carbide stone and depending on the kind of steel you planning on sharpening I have heard some guys really like some of the Chosera stones in lower grit's work really well and I would have to agree with that from use of some of their lower grit stones.

You cannot go wrong with the American Mutt. It is my go to for rebeveling, and I have used it on many different knives and steels successfully. I can't imagine you not being happy with one when they are back in stock. The Manticore is not in my collection, but I haven't purchased a bad stone from Baryonyx yet! (4 so far)

Check out this VERY COARSE diamond file LINK > > > >
In my view that is still not enough.
I just used the diamond file to remove the undulations from the power grinding wheel
Here you go . . . follow this LINK > > > and look at the fourth and fifth photo down. The blue belts (Norton Alumina Zirconia) can be glued down to a flat surface even particle board. They come in grits as low as 36 and EAT metal way faster than a stone.
These days I use the blue grinding wheel on the bench grinder. It is designed to grind heat treated steel and keep it as cool as possible for a grinding wheel. I still dip the blade every few seconds and keep my fingers where I will get burned if I grind too long between dips; it is a quick teacher ;). I was grinding another Cold Steel Ti Lte IV much thinner just a few days ago with the power grinder. A bench grinder is like $29 . . . the stone is like $50. Don't waste time with Harbor Freight belt grinders. If you are getting a belt grinder get something decent (= $).

I still use the diamond file after the bench grinder then the Shapton Pro 120 stone. Belts are oh so much faster though. I just fool around with one or two knives a year. I have a crappy belt sander so I know of what I rant about.

Last edited:
I like the ACE Hardware stone, a Norton, SiC 2X8" coarse / fine combination. The coarse side is very coarse and removes metal very quickly. It offers very good Economy. Look for the black colored stone. DM
Ace stone.jpg

Get cheap grinder and also norton economy stone which is excellent,you can sharpen anything on it and get excellent edge,i uset to thin blades on norton stone,but got tired of it and got cheap grinder,now i take almost any blade out of factory to grinder first,then on this norton stone or norton india which is excellent too.Sometimes i polish sides of blade on couple of japanese waterstones and thats it.Best edge i get is off this sil carbide stone and dmt folding sharpener .It whittles hair and edge has excellent bite,and lasts longer than sharpmaker and similar gadgets.(I LIKE SM for quick touchups or to take the burr off,but f9r real sharpening this stone is all you need.

Back