Best thin/light fixed blades?

Condor Kephart and BK62 Kephart are right about 1/8”. Old Hickory and Green River knives are typically under 1/8”, or 2-3mm.

Reactions: vba
Spyderco Sprig
Spyderco mule- like cruwear? How about micromelt PD#1 - $69 still in stock, crazy
Lauri PT blades- 80CRV2 @ 61 HRC on the edge

UewViVq.jpg

That PD-1 for $69 is crazy!! A Stupid good deal!!!!!
They had one at bladeshow for $50. I should have bought it but I ended up getting something in REX 121.
Crazy to me that any of the mules are still available. I get why Sal/Eric are hesitant to make more of them. PM A11 shows out of stock now. Until recently it was available too.

Moras, of course, Roselli Carpenter and erapuukko, Spyderco Mules, Ivan Campos Scandi, Kellam puukkos, for a start.

Reactions: vba
Perhaps a Daado like this one for lighter outdoor tasks; food prep; light whittling, etc. (pics are Daado's).
7" LOA
3.1" blade length
5/64" thick @ back of spine
Tang tapers to 1/16"View attachment 1154389View attachment 1154390
This for sure! Great edge geometry and h.t. in 52100, handmade in Croatia and a hell of a deal. I've got 2 of them. Doesn't everyone want a knife made in Croatia?--KV

Spyderco Junction is 0.100" PSF27 (sprayform D2). Discontinued but can still be found pretty easily; didn't seem to sell that well.

Design was kind of for a lightweight backpacker so the handle is tall but a little thin as well. Functional but personally wish it was more similar to Sprig or Southfork. (That, or just that the Sprig had been made with 2.5 or 2 mm stock instead of 3 mm.)

Do you find the Sprig's handle comfortable in use? I've been contemplating picking one up on the secondary market.
I don't have the sprig. I'm guessing I would like it though. I do own the south fork. As designed by Phil Wilson, the handles of his knives are very comfortable, but lacking some traction if I can be honest.

This is the waterway. The handle is slim and the knife is lite, as in the theme of this thread. I wouldn't want to work in the woods for hours on end with the thing but in the kitchen or breaking down various things (tomatoes, fish, game, cardboard even), the waterway will excel.

Back