Best throwing knives

Hello, everyone... I'm new to knife throwing, but I've had a high interest in it for a long time now.

I was wondering which store throwing knives were the best buys. By this, I mean which throwing knives are the best for the price and quality, and can also be bought in most self-defense stores.

I've already ordered a couple of throwing knife sets from some sites and I'm just waiting for them to arrive (should come in tuesday). I ordered mostly the cheaper kinds (the copies), such as the hibben cord wrapped rip-offs.

I also want to know what everyone thinks of the Hibben Generation II throwing knives, as well as the United Cutlery Lightning Bolt throwing knives.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my post.. any help is appreciated.

-Kent

Kent,

I am sure that I speak for most of the knife throwers here,(well OK, some), in saying that the United stuff is not anywhere near the same quality as the "real" throwers. They are too light for any sort of normal distance, and much too small. Same goes for the Cold Steel throwers (the longer ones are approaching the length, but still too light).

You just can not realize the difference until you try a quality thrower. Most are in the 14" range and are of sufficient weight to not only strike and stick in the target, but won't wear out your arm (believe it or not, the lighter ones will really tire your arm due to having to throw harder). The only problem is that they are not available in "normal" knife stores. They must be purchased from the makers themselves for the most part.

We have one of the best quality, best value makers right here on this forum, and he is even the moderator, goes by the name of Bobby Branton.... http://www.brantonknives.com/throwin.htm
( I love his stuff
biggrin.gif
)

There are man other quality makers out there too. Do a search or follow links on Bobby's site.

Hope this helps, and have fun!!

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

That does help, thanks a lot for your reply. Prices are quite a bit higher than the store throwers, but I guess it's reasonable for being customs. Any recommendations on which Branton thrower is the best? (I like them all). Also, is there a difference (besides price) between models 1, 13, 14? They look similar, but model 14 is $20 more... just wondering if the performance is worth the extra.

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be getting one soon, mostly because $, so does anyone have any recommendations on the production throwers? I've been looking into the hibben generation II throwers.

Thanks again for your response, any help is appreciated.

-Kent

I have two of the 10" original hibbens. They are ok I can consistently stick them at a turn and a half(18') but there are better ones out there. In the way of customs I think Lee Fugatt has some of the lowest prices but still great quality Ive seen. He has some in the 12" range or $20 -$25 if my memory serves me. I dont have his email address handy but he just joined here so maybe he will post. I am looking to get a set from him soon. Since winter is on her way you may want to try some throwing indoors. You can make some great throwing spikes out of large nails from the hardware. Just cut the heads off sharpen the tips a bit and throw away. Make a target out of layered cardboard and throw a half turn at about 8'. Well I hope this helps you out.
Kevin

Good to see new throwers.

I've known Bobby quite a while now and can attest to the quality of his knives... these are lifetime acquistitions and built to take the abuse. You will find that most the independent makers produce fine quality throwers worth the money at twice the price.

I have 4 #9 Branton's and 4 #13 Branton's and have been throwing them for 3 years now. You cannot go wrong with either model, personally I would lean towards the #13 for competition or distance throwing as they are a bit heavier. The #9's are great for show or exhibition as they look like what the untrained crowd thinks a throwing knife should look like.

------------------
Webmaster
The Sticking Point
www.commonlogic.com/knife

I've actually heard a lot about the large original Hibben throwing knives. I'm thinking I'll get a few of those, and maybe look into getting some branton throwing knives. Also, if you ever do find Lee Fugatt's website URL, feel free to e-mail it to me at: KentDog@home.com, and feel free to post it here, too.

Also, where do you guys practice throwing? Just wondering...

One last thing, has anyone ever heard of the "Bullseye" throwing knives? Are they any good? They are the ones with the adjustable weights on the front and back of the knives.

-Kent

Check out the "PUBS" page on the Sticking Point at: www.commonlogic.com/knife
There are many makers/suppliers there and you will find A link to Fugatt.

I practice in the backyard.

Personally, I would forego the Hibbens. They have to much thumb/grippy humps and bumps on them which I ground off on my Hibbens and still leave them on the shelf.

------------------
Webmaster
The Sticking Point
www.commonlogic.com/knife

I used to do alot of amateur knife and ax throwing, but don't really have the opportunity now. However, I have always been looking for reasonable throwing knives.

Another custom maker of throwing knives who gets alot of press and makes a nice looking knife (I haven't ever tried them) is Harald Moeller out of Canada. He makes the Viper series. I've read his book, and handled his knives, but never thrown one.

I thought there had been a manufacturer who picked up the knives Harry McEvoy was using, I know our moderator does the custom work. Anyone know?

Back