Best UL rod for $50

Also, Bob, there are no more hassles with loose drag discs, pawls or anything other than the spool and cap when you pull it off. That pentagonal clip in the spool keeps everything captive, same goes for the cap.
That's good. :thumbup:
Do you have to reset the drag after removing the spool? On many reels the drag knob is the same as the remove spool knob.

Yes, you do, but I'm used to resetting drag often from my bait casting reels with magnetic spool dampening. It's not as easy as a push button/rear drag, but it's still quite nice.

-X

25 years ago, I thought the triggers cool. But frankly, since I use more than one reel, I prefer just lifting the bail and casting. I also prefer front drags or at least that is all I have ever purchased.

I found a 6.6 foot UL Shakespeare at wally world last year that I really like. Good sensitivity, breaks down in half and cost around $12 if I remember right. I use a small browing spinning reel and have landed some nice crappie on it.

Well, for now I got that vintage St. Croix wrapped with new guides and just have to seal them....

20160403_215724_zpstqddneuh.jpg

20160403_215905_005_zpsvqbztxgt.jpg

20160403_220327_zpsswhbgbvb.jpg

Can't wait to get this one on the water!

-X

I went back and tried to use a couple of my fiberglass rods purchased years ago, and the difference in feel with graphite is amazing. Looks like you did a good job wrapping those guides. Now you can build your own custom rod.

I went back and tried to use a couple of my fiberglass rods purchased years ago, and the difference in feel with graphite is amazing. Looks like you did a good job wrapping those guides. Now you can build your own custom rod.

To say the difference between fiberglass and say an IM6 graphite is night and day, might be an understatement, lol! More like different planets. Although, much like vinyl recordings, the romance of vintage gear gets lost in the spec sheet of high modulus graphite, nano-ceramic coated guides, ultra fast action so sensitive a fly landing on the tip makes you set the hook.

I've been fishing with custom rods for 20+ years, I'm not new to them or making my own, but sometimes it's difficult to beat the economy of scale and big box store pricing (and Chinese labor prices) for somethings.

-X

Too true, I got a deal on a like new fiberglass ultralight rod a couple years ago. I was excited to try it out but the entire time I was fishing I was thinking how much lighter and more sensitive my G Loomis graphite was. Great job wrapping the eyes. I hope you enjoy fishing with it.

To say the difference between fiberglass and say an IM6 graphite is night and day, might be an understatement, lol! More like different planets.

I was trying to be nice with my comments. But yeah, there is no going back unless I have no other options.

I will add that I do not fish exclusively with vintage gear, I do own modern graphite rods and love how light they are, but I just love using these old classics as well. I often times get only a couple hours to fish and using this classic gear makes it a little more enjoyable for me.

-X

Back