Best Vise Grip Tool

I've been looking to get a vise grip tool to accompany my leatherman wave and my irwin 5w. The only two I can find is the leatherman crunch and the one kershaw makes. There's things I like about both. I like the crunsh's pliers head and the choice of flathead screwdrivers. I don't like the folding mecahnism as it doesn't look very sturdy. Can anyone correct me on this? Nor do I care mush for having the remove the adjustment screw to use the bit driver. I like the Kershaw because it has a hacksaw, looks sturdier, and the dit driver you can attach to the needle nose. I don't like the fact that it has needle nose jaws and my biggest concern is that it doesn't look like it hase locking blades. Can someone tell me if it does. So far it's a tie between the two and I want you guys opinion on this.

I have both.
  • The Leatherman Crunch is more sturdy than it looks. I've really cranked on mine, and it's solid as a rock. My main complaint is that it's the only Leatherman that I can't open and close one handed. The bit driver is a non-issue for me, I've never used it, preferring to carry a Wave or Charge along with the Crunch. It folds up into a remarkably compact package, though, making it very easy to carry.

• The Kershaw is IMHO a highly underrated tool. It's long, but slim, and carries sorta like a fixed blade hunting knife. The needle nose can be a problem; the long, narrow jaws can get a little unstable under high loads. The "breaker" is a godsend when you've got it locked down real tight. The knife blade opens with just one hand, and locks (liner lock); the other tools, though, do not lock. (EDIT: see below. I goofed.)

Whoops, I forgot... the Kershaw tools *do* have a passive lock, of sorts.

There's a latch that you use to lock the handles closed, and a ledge of steel on the handle opposite the swing-out tools. If you latch the tool closed with a tool extended, the tang of the tool hits the ledge, essentially locking it in place. Unlike the locks on most newer multitools, though, it's not automatic; you have to swing the latch into engagement to lock the tools.

I agree with Gryffin that the Leatherman Crunch is a lot tougher than it looks. I've used mine fairly hard and never had a problem. The mechanism is tricky, but solid and reliable. Opening it does take some getting used to.

I have no experience with the Kershaw.

--Bob Q

Two final question; Is the blade lock on it similar to the new wave's lock, and can you turn the visegrip either way without it the one jaw popping out of it's little catch. Sorry for all the dumb questions but, I have never seen one in real person because I don't live near any stores and want to be %100 sure this is what I want to spend my money on.

SD,
If you are talking about the crunch, the tool locks are a single rocker, very much like those used on the newer leathermans. (not a liner lock).

The crunch -pliers seem like they would come apart in use, but you have to play with it to understand that they won't. The only way they come apart is if you open the handles too far (which is how you put it away).

I found the Crunch to be somewhat awkward in use.
The best compromise I could find was just to carry a multi-tool or Swiss Army Knife and a small set of vise-grips.
One advantage is that you can lock the visegrips down on a screw and turn the nut with the multi-tool pliers.

Good luck,
Allen.

I also have both the Crunch and the Kershaw. I really like the additional tools, like the hacksaw that come with the Kershaw. My biggest complaint with the Kershaw is that it's too long for pocket carry. The Crunch folds down nice and I can slip it in my back pocket and not even notice it.

I always carry either a Swisstool Spirit in my pocket or Leatherman Surge on my belt along with the Crunch. The Crunch has been handy to use as an extra pair of fingers to hold things many times. However, for most tasks I use one of the other multi's

I have a Crunch. It's excellent, far and away my favorite Leatherman model. The pliers are plenty sturdy.

Binford said:
My biggest complaint with the Kershaw is that it's too long for pocket carry.
I usually carry mine in the side pocket of carpenter's jeans. Fits like it was made for 'em.

Gryffin said:
I usually carry mine in the side pocket of carpenter's jeans. Fits like it was made for 'em.

Good idea! Thanks for the tip! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Back