Best way to repair this damage?

Hi. I bought a blem Ang Khola back in 2018 and love the thing. It's held up amazingly through all the work I've done with it. However, today I was doing some light sapling removal with it and noticed edge and tip damage after I was done.

Apologies for the condition of the blade. I took the photos before I cleaned and oiled it.

I was really surprised because I wasn't using it in a vigorous manner, the wood was soft, and over the past two years I've barely even needed to sharpen it. I was wondering what the best way to fix the damage would be?

Thanks in advance.

HI only really hardens the sweet spot for chopping so the tips are prone to damage. Seen it a couple times. Just use a file .

HI only really hardens the sweet spot for chopping so the tips are prone to damage. Seen it a couple times. Just use a file .

Okay, that's good to know. I've used the tip for quite a few things and it's held up until now. The edge chip/roll is a bit down from the sweet spot. I used the belly for taking the limbs (pencil sized at best) off the saplings, which I've done before without issues. I can try filing that out and resharpening if that's the best option.

File will work fine.
As will a 1x42 belt sander (or similar), using a very light touch to avoid overheating. This is obviously not "old school" or traditional, but it's what I've always done. Just have to be careful not to take off too much, too quickly.

On the tip I'd put it on a vise or other hard flat surface and pound it close to it's original shape or close as you can get. Then do the above. Fine file or stone. Aardvarks 1x42 belt sander is the best but a lot of folks don't have those. If your close come on over you can use mine.
Important to remember that any tool that plugs into electricity can screw things up 10 times faster than a hand tool. Ask me how I know?

What Bawanna siad but I would add you can try to put as much of the metal back into place before you start filing. Id use a penny or soft coin and use the edge of it to hammer the curl back into shape. That is: put the edge of the coin behind the curled ding and hammer the edge of the coin toward the edge until it wont "catch on the ding any more" then peen down directly on the edge to flatten it best you can. Blade needs to be on a flat surface of course like Bawanna said. Hammer down on the anvil or flat surface without the knife present and look for a spot where your making contact and just practice hitting the same spot. Once your confident you can hit the same spot all the time then slowly move the knife edge to the spot as needed to make the strike. Dot try to hammer the egde directly or youll be hitting all over the edge. Move the knife to the strike zone then move it away and inspect. Hope that makes sense. Then file. If you get good enough peening you never need to file anything. Some people can get razor edge just by peening (aka. sharpening a sickle)." I have a copper anvil and a long piece of copper buss bar (punch) just for those kind of repairs.

Last edited:
buy this and take the metal backing out. There will be enough slack in the belt for doing your convex edge. Harbor freight sells them for 90 bucks. I have used it often to do repairs and quick grind jobs. it is a 1"x30 belt

image_20642.jpg

Ol' 'Dog speaks with knowledge here. Sickles & scythes are correctly sharpened by peening. I do it on any of the khuks in my collection that need a little TLC. Easy to perform providing you take your time. I use a piece of 3/4" square copper that's about 4 inches long to serve as a punch & flattener. Bronze or brass rod can work as well, but most old timers used iron or steel sharpening kits. Here is a pic of just such a set. The anvil is the larger piece that mounts in the pritchel hole of anvil, stump, or vise. On the left is the peen. On the right is a collar/spacer/adapter for a larger pritchel hole and can be used for a flattener, too.z12z.jpg

uh....er....uh....chakma thingie. Nepali version of Harbor Freight 1x30 .

and, of course, all the other suggestions by the guys who know how to do it.

Back