best way to sharpen

pretty sure this one will start a whirlwind of opinions but just curious on what's the truth about sharpening. Is there really no substitute for a good wet/Arizona stone? Or do the "Diamond honed tungsten carbide sharpeners" really do the job well as far as giving you a really good edge? All feedback is appreciated. I'm new around here but am an avid knife enthusiast, collector, carrier and user. Thanks everyone!

Best to check out the Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment Forum. I use Diamonds and the Sharpmaker when lazy, and would recommend staying away from most carbide sharpeners- they are OK for setting badly damaged blades but tend to wreak havok on real edges.

There are a number of ways to sharpen, and each of them have their proponents. One person's equipment and techniques may not be the same as another's. That's the great thing about this forum; you can hear from a lot of different people, and learn from them.

Personally, I use a DMT Magna Guide for V edges. It has the advantage of being light and, when folded, easily taken to the field. For my convexed blades, it's the good old mouse-pad and sandpaper. Either way, I generally finish on a loaded strop. I also have a couple of blades that I just freehand. Other people are sure to weigh in with their personal solutions, and believe me, some of these guys really, really know their stuff.

I would pay close attention to what you've started, because some of the best will probably chime in.

Whatever works for you. I have great success with diamond and ceramic stones, bad luck with water stones. Other folks swear by water stones.

It's just abrading material off the edge, I don't buy into any mystique at all.

There are a number of ways to sharpen, and each of them have their proponents. One person's equipment and techniques may not be the same as another's. That's the great thing about this forum; you can hear from a lot of different people, and learn from them.

Personally, I use a DMT Magna Guide for V edges. It has the advantage of being light and, when folded, easily taken to the field. For my convexed blades, it's the good old mouse-pad and sandpaper. Either way, I generally finish on a loaded strop. I also have a couple of blades that I just freehand. Other people are sure to weigh in with their personal solutions, and believe me, some of these guys really, really know their stuff.

I would pay close attention to what you've started, because some of the best will probably chime in.

A "V Edge"?

Google "edgepro". Best sharpening money you will ever spend.

Diggin this. Thanks for suggestion --- http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=DMTDMGEF

Double sided diamond DMT hones work well for me and are handy to carry---KV

anyone got any links to some good sharpening solutions?
Read this. It covers most of the common solutions, tools, and techniques, but mostly it talks about what a sharp knife is, types of edges, blade geometry, etc. and how to get their. Chad Ward is a very good technical writer IMO. Get his book, An Edge in the Kitchen, it covers a lot more then sharpening, but all the sharpening basics and links to each system are in the training link. This is the best place to start that I have seen.

Gary

Back