1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Better after a good resharpening?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by TRfromMT, Apr 24, 2019.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I respect that, @nyefmaker and find your comments reassuring. Thanks.

I really don't know if there is anything to the argument that the steel is affected by sharpening on a powered belt system, or not. I had some frustrations with the first several CRK I owned and chalked it up to S35VN (had the same experience - easily rolled edge - on a Hinderer MP-1). In hind sight I though it could be due to the phenomena and I'm wondering if, now having the ability to get through this layer of material with a Wicked Edge, I might have a different experience.

I'm also willing to acknowledge I'm still not comparing apples to apples. Then my edges were the slightly convex, factory CRK edge that I merely touched up. Now, this edge is a fully reprofiled V edge. I set this by starting in the middle of the crown of the convex and working fully to the apex. I raised a complete burr the full length of the edge and removed it, at each grit. This is a totally different ballgame in terms of the edge geometry now.

We are nothing if not complete nerds when it comes to the small details.

loon#r and kidcongo like this.
  2. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008

I made this video awhile back and since I see you use the Sharpmaker, perhaps you might find something that may help.

kidcongo likes this.
  3. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    That’s a great video! Such practical straight-forward advice for someone starting out sharpening. Also nice to see someone with a CRK collection who is not afraid to use and sharpen the knives. You should definitely make more vids.

nyefmaker likes this.
  4. nyefmaker

nyefmaker Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Thanks for the kind words. I am glad many have found it helpful.

5. knoagreen

knoagreen Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Yeah I found your video very helpful and used it to learn how to sharpen my Sebenza and many other knives. Thanks for the time you put into it.

nyefmaker likes this.
  6. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Reporting in...
    The insingo Inkosi spent a week in the pocket, wearing a 19dps edge, at 1000 grit from the Wicked Edge. This past weekend it processed 2 Turkeys from a hunt in Kansas. The work on the birds was prepping the breasts only, not any contact with bone or gritty hide/feathers.

The edge needed touching up after this, and I am a little disappointed with the condition of the edge after only light duty for a week.

I spent 20 minutes on the Sharpmaker, fine stones, stropping the burr away on a green strop, then finishing on the extra fine rods. Back to a very sharp, hair popping edge now.

So, the score is one full reprofiling on the W.E. and a touch up on the Sharpmaker. I'll keep track for awhile and see if I begin to get better edge retention after a few more sharpenings.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    4mer_FMF likes this.
  7. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
  8. loon#r

loon#r Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2008
    And I like the shirt.