Better after a good resharpening?

I respect that, nyefmaker nyefmaker and find your comments reassuring. Thanks.

I really don't know if there is anything to the argument that the steel is affected by sharpening on a powered belt system, or not. I had some frustrations with the first several CRK I owned and chalked it up to S35VN (had the same experience - easily rolled edge - on a Hinderer MP-1). In hind sight I though it could be due to the phenomena and I'm wondering if, now having the ability to get through this layer of material with a Wicked Edge, I might have a different experience.

I'm also willing to acknowledge I'm still not comparing apples to apples. Then my edges were the slightly convex, factory CRK edge that I merely touched up. Now, this edge is a fully reprofiled V edge. I set this by starting in the middle of the crown of the convex and working fully to the apex. I raised a complete burr the full length of the edge and removed it, at each grit. This is a totally different ballgame in terms of the edge geometry now.

We are nothing if not complete nerds when it comes to the small details.

I respect that, nyefmaker nyefmaker and find your comments reassuring. Thanks.

I really don't know if there is anything to the argument that the steel is affected by sharpening on a powered belt system, or not. I had some frustrations with the first several CRK I owned and chalked it up to S35VN (had the same experience - easily rolled edge - on a Hinderer MP-1). In hind sight I though it could be due to the phenomena and I'm wondering if, now having the ability to get through this layer of material with a Wicked Edge, I might have a different experience.

I'm also willing to acknowledge I'm still not comparing apples to apples. Then my edges were the slightly convex, factory CRK edge that I merely touched up. Now, this edge is a fully reprofiled V edge. I set this by starting in the middle of the crown of the convex and working fully to the apex. I raised a complete burr the full length of the edge and removed it, at each grit. This is a totally different ballgame in terms of the edge geometry now.

We are nothing if not complete nerds when it comes to the small details.

I made this video awhile back and since I see you use the Sharpmaker, perhaps you might find something that may help.

I made this video awhile back and since I see you use the Sharpmaker, perhaps you might find something that may help.

That’s a great video! Such practical straight-forward advice for someone starting out sharpening. Also nice to see someone with a CRK collection who is not afraid to use and sharpen the knives. You should definitely make more vids.

Reporting in...
The insingo Inkosi spent a week in the pocket, wearing a 19dps edge, at 1000 grit from the Wicked Edge. This past weekend it processed 2 Turkeys from a hunt in Kansas. The work on the birds was prepping the breasts only, not any contact with bone or gritty hide/feathers.

The edge needed touching up after this, and I am a little disappointed with the condition of the edge after only light duty for a week.

I spent 20 minutes on the Sharpmaker, fine stones, stropping the burr away on a green strop, then finishing on the extra fine rods. Back to a very sharp, hair popping edge now.

So, the score is one full reprofiling on the W.E. and a touch up on the Sharpmaker. I'll keep track for awhile and see if I begin to get better edge retention after a few more sharpenings.

Last edited:
Back