better bear pics this time

These damascus blades are 19 and 15 inches respectively. The scrim is by Diane Hecht. The starting point for these knives was the pair of massive white tail crowns. I cut a 3/4" slice from the end of the antler and cast it in white bronze. This allowed me to, neck down, so as to fit the hand and still match the
end where I cut the horn piece off. From there, I just moved towards the point.
Kind of an, ass backwards, way to make a knife. Time consuming but enjoyable.
Time to feed the pup! Fred

ddavelarsen said:
Those are great Fred! What do you use to cast bronze?
Morning Dave,
I used the lost wax process to make the mold. I chose white bronze so as to match the nickle silver that I used elsewhere on the knives. I tried casting the n.s. with no luck there at all. Fred

Mr.BadExample said:
Very cool... I'd love to see close-ups or larger photos.
I've been working on my photos to improve their quality. I'm taking a crash course on pixels and resolution and the like from my techy son. I hope to improve in all areas so as to give my knives there best presentation.
Watch the gallery for improvements and let me know what you think. Fred

Fred I'm planning to get set up for lost wax one of these years too. Where'd you get your equipment? I've been looking at stuff from Rio Grande.

Greetings from up North,
As a Full time goldsmith, I do a lot of casting ,and a decent set-up will cost about $4000 and 3 years to get good at it!! HOWEVER, thare are most probably goldsmiths in your area who would be willing to cast your waxes for you -as well as providing supplies and advice. Check out goldsmiths in your yellow pages and make a few calls and I'm sure you will find someone who would be interested in helping you .

Thanks Donald, that's a good idea. I know someone in my neighborhood who could probably do that for me, they've done a lot of jewelry work for us over the years. I'll check it out.

That's about the cost I expected but I admit I didn't think it'd take me that long to get sufficient skill in casting. Maybe I'd better start sooner than later!

ddavelarsen said:
Fred I'm planning to get set up for lost wax one of these years too. Where'd you get your equipment? I've been looking at stuff from Rio Grande.
Hi Dave,
I have a friend, who is a goldsmith, he let me work in his shop. I reciprocate
by letting him pound hot metal in my forge. We get along great.
Fred

Fred that's a perfect arrangement! I wonder if either of the chicks in our local jewelry would like to come over and grind a little in exchange for showing me how to cast parts? ;) :D

Dave,
You would want to let them know, up front, what type grinding you be speaking of.
Some ladies might get a little ouchy upon getting that offer. ho=ho= Fred

Yeah, I wonder if these potential teachers are as "flexible" as I am? Even at this ripe age... :D

Back