Beware: Extremely random question follows...

Has anyone with welding skills ever taken the blade from a folding knife and welded their own steel handle to it to transform it into a fixed blade?
If so, do you have any pics?

I gonna bet the answer is yes. But yeah, other than proof of concept why would anyone do so I wonder.

Better yet, who has cut down a fixed blade and turned it into a folder.

I would imagine it can be done via cold welding but with a lot of the temps I see with welding (mainly stick 6010,6011 and 7018/fluxcore MIG) you'd be putting the heat treat in jepardy and more then likely ruining it. One would be better off just remaking the blade out of a fresh sheet of steel.

Has anyone with welding skills ever taken the blade from a folding knife and welded their own steel handle to it to transform it into a fixed blade?
If so, do you have any pics?

Yes.

Pattern_welded_womans_knife_by_jarkko1.jpg

See what I did there?

Better yet, who has cut down a fixed blade and turned it into a folder.

Taking an Izula or Eskabar and making it a folder would be neat.

Cool design. The Damascus layers hide the weld well. I knew someone would ask why would someone want to... well some people like to test their craftsmanship abilities so I wanted to see if anyone here has succeeded in such a feat before I try it myself. But that's a good point that the heat treat may be jeopardized at the hot temps required, so for this reason I may not try to do it.

Back