Bhojpure butt-cap

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
One of the common problem with the butt-caps on khukuris is that they tend to come off rather easily. You notice this from time to time on the HI forum and Will, Cobalt and I noticed it with the Service #1's from GH. The solution is rather trivial - just epoxy them back on. I have been using a Bhojpure from GH for awhile now and this exact aspect was interesting as the behavior I got was certaintly not the expected.

I have done a fair amount of chopping and even some pounding with the spine (breaking bricks) and this failed to loosen the butt-cap at all. The reason is quite simple as there looks to be a very large amount of epoxy used on the cap as it even flows nicely out around making a neat ring around the end piece.

Being curious to see if I could loosen it with direct impact I took a piece of wood about 1.5' long and 3.5" thick and gave the khukuri about a dozen hard wacks on the end-piece (indenting the wood). I alternated striking the side and then the pointed end. This failed to loosen the cap at all which was impressive.

I then walked over to the outside concrete wall of the house and hit the end piece about another dozen times off of the concrete chipping it (the concrete). This indented the butt-cap somewhat on the point and flat and of course ground into the wood a little - but it still did not loosen.

All in all I was impressed by the security, a big improvement over the Service #1. Whoever attached the handle took care on the end piece attachment.

-Cliff

Cliff: You're too much! But I'm glad you did the butcapp banging. I think the Service Number One, while not a bad khukuri at all, is more of a hefty bowie-type knife (words of a SN1 customer). After the tests you did with the first GH khukuri, I always ask customers what their primary purpose of the knife will be. If "chopping" is the answer, I urge them to spend the extra couple of bucks for a Panawal or a Bhojpure. I'm not saying that a SN1 won't chop well - it just won't take the same abuse as the Bhojpure and Panawal (simple physics).

Just got an email from Andre Simpson in Australia. He just got back from his trip, and had some pretty neat comments about his Bhojpure. I won't steal his thunder, but I liked the part about the kangaroo tails.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

[This message has been edited by Craig Gottlieb (edited 15 July 1999).]

Back