• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Big 5/16" 5160 tactical/heavy field knife {SOLD}

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This knife is from virgin 5/16" thick 5160 and is flat ground stock removal.

Scales are black paper micarta, lined with brown linen micarta. Thong hole is 5/8" brown linen tube and pins are 1/4" stainless tubes.

This is a very beefy knife but feels great in hand, the balance point is directly under the front pin.

Blade is satin finished and has a penetrator tip.

OAL is 9.75", blade is 4.5"

Sheath is heavy 10/12 oz Veg Tanned leather and lightly wet molded.

SOLD shipped Priority

Paypal or Money Order, email is best way to contact.

chad@pirtlemade.com

Thanks for looking!

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

Last edited:
Chad, how did you cut the profile? Waterjet? I've been working for awhile on a stock removal knife 5/16 ths 5160 and a hacksaw wouldn't touch it. Had to use a carbide hacksaw blade which took much longer than a regular blade. Bought my 5160 from mcmaster-carr. I really like 5160 as it is so cheap, tough and easy to ht with a torch, but it is so hard to work.

Thanks akthor!

bennyb, I cut this one using a bandsaw and cutting oil, then profiled to final shape on the KMG. It's tuff stuff to cut and work hardens so you need to keep it cool.

Added better outdoor pic's and adjusted the price a tad.

Last edited:
now that is awesome . i love the rounded look . :thumbup:

i wish i had extra coin , thats a steal at that price:eek::eek:

Yep, this one is pending to t1mpani :)

I have a couple more in the works, email me if you'd like to discuss.

Thanks!

This one is home at last, and it's a beauty! If you back up on the handle, there's enough mass to do some pretty reasonable kindling splitting! Thing is a CHUNK! :D That said, though, it isn't awkward in the least...point of balance is almost exactly centered which makes it very nimble feeling in a regular hammer or saber grip.

Fit and finish are all great, the sheath is a neat design and nicely put together, and it just feels like it wants to work. I'm going to have fun with this one. :thumbup:

Back