big fan of Becker knives, not a big fan of black coatings

result...

P1020326.jpg

P1020325.jpg

P1020314.jpg

P1020310.jpg

now if only i could learn how to take some decent photos

Wow.. that looks great. I've got the same blade but enjoy the black coating because it shows how loved the knife is :)

It's much more than "decent" IMO - that looks awesome.

p.s. - only used the word "decent" because it was used in:

"now if only i could learn how to take some decent photos"

my point being that the knife AND photos are well beyond "decent".

What process did you use to strip it?

Thanks for the complements folks. I used a simple paint thinner (the thick gel-like stuff) and plastic scraper to get the coating off. Only took a few hours of soaking. Then took to it with some 000 steel wool and elbow grease. Now just gotta break it in this weekend.

reminds me of a "poor mans" Busse. i will never spend that kinda money when i feel a Becker is a s good a knife for a fraction of the money. (sorry, im not trying to bash on them either).....i like what you did with it, what did you wrap the handle with, plain ol twine? it looks like a hemp type chord which ive heard is supposed to be as tough as it gets. i have BIG hands so i like the idea

You must have big hands to wrap the handle like that. I would use hockey tape or bicycle inner tube or the micarta scales.

That BK9 looks great without the coating. :thumbup:
I did the same thing to my Beckers and like them that way. I left the coating on the handle on my BK11 because it's hard to protect it from rust under the wrap.
4448643507_51fa7dd987.jpg

My Bk 2 is getting close to stripped from sharpening and use. Might take it all the way, might not. It likes looking a little beat.
007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

She is sharp as you could want. :D

Back