Big knife vs Axe

What axe/hachet would you say is the best compromise between weight/size and felling and splitting?

What axe/hachet would you say is the best compromise between weight/size and felling and splitting?

Depending on what size you are felling, maybe a 19" Wetterlings would be about right. If I knew I was going to be felling a lot of trees, a 26" would probably be better. Talking packable axes here.

Depending on what size you are felling, maybe a 19" Wetterlings would be about right. If I knew I was going to be felling a lot of trees, a 26" would probably be better. Talking packable axes here.

Fiskars has a full size head, 3/4 length packable axe that can split, chop, and "do almost everything", VERY light. i spotted one for $20. hard to beat that. i think they typically list for $40 or so.

it will certainly outchop any knife/khukri i own, but doesn't have as fine an edge, so you'd want a knife for other chores.

Bladite

Fiskars has a full size head, 3/4 length packable axe that can split, chop, and "do almost everything", VERY light. i spotted one for $20. hard to beat that. i think they typically list for $40 or so.

it will certainly outchop any knife/khukri i own, but doesn't have as fine an edge, so you'd want a knife for other chores.

Bladite

I've always avoided the Gerber/Fiskars wonder mystery steel. For $20 though hard to go wrong.

I've always avoided the Gerber/Fiskars wonder mystery steel. For $20 though hard to go wrong.

it's a little soft compared to a "better axe", but that can be okay. easy to field sharpen. just find a smooth rock. done. not as likely to chip out.

and $20 (even $40), you're just not going to cry if you do something bad.

that all said, Fiskars supposedly has a no questions asked warranty. you break it? esp the handle? they'll send you a new one. they don't even need the old axe back i hear.

i broke a Snow and Neally of Maine Axe. the head sheared right off the apparently good and solid handle. on the inside though, it had dry rotted somehow. they sent me a new one ASAP, which was rather good customer service i have to say.

i know that Gransfor Bruks also has a kickbutt warranty - 20 years, covering nearly anything. nice.

Bladite

My 2 favorites to pack are:

Wetterlings 19" Large Hunting axe (same size as Bruks Small Forrest Axe)

Brian Andrews modified Snow & Nealley 18" Penobscot Bay axe

They are perfect :thumbup:

I grew up in a logging community in Oregon so there is no doubt in my mind that the size of wood to be cut will determine the tool to use. With that I try not to bite off more than I can chew. If I am not procuring wood to use in my stove at home I tend to pick on the little guys in the woods. I have to be pretty specific to what trees I attack to keep my hunting camps warm and manageable. If the wood is much bigger than a beer can in circumference I like to let them be. That being said, in my neck of the woods there is an abundance supply of the little guys beckoning to keep me busy.

That makes a lot of sense. For some reason here we mostly go after bigger trees and let the smaller ones live another day. A handsaw is rarely enough to help out with those since if everything goes well, it still tends to get pinched by the tree

Back