Big thanks to Dave Beck and Gene Ingram

PlaceKnives

Banned
I just received a custom knife from Dave Beck built from a design of mine. I also received today a #6 drop point hunter from Gene Ingram. These 2 gentlemen are not only incredible craftsmen but the nicest guys you could ever hope to work with.

From the concept stage of my knife design, Dave was available for me to talk to and swap ideas. His craftsmanship and technical ability are second to none. The knife I designed was transformed from a piece of paper to the most incredible, functional, most heavy duty and most solidly built knife I have ever seen. The sheath too was also built to the most exacting standards, a perfect balance between good looks and bad a$$ ruggedness.

My Gene Ingram #6 was his standard model, but I requested the same handle material and bolts as my Beck knife so that it looks as though the two were a pair. He was able to accomodate my requests, no problem.

Gene's fit and finish is simply amazing, as is the laser like sharpness of his knives. Gene's service is, as always, prompt, curteous and professional.

I just wanted to give these guys a big THANK YOU from a very satisfied customer.

-Jared Place

If you have pictures email them to me and I'll post them up for you.

...and here they are! :)

beck01s.jpg

beck02s.jpg

Specs,

Beck Knife-
My Design!!!!!
7" Blade
12 1/4" overall
1/4" thick
1 3/4" wide
Differentially heat treated O-1 tool steel
Tapered Tang
4 1/4" row of sawteeth
Olive Drab Linen Micarta Handles
Brass Bolts

Ingram Knife-
4 1/2" blade
5/32" thick
O-1 tool steel
Olive Drab Linen Micarta Handles
Brass Bolts

How wide is the blade on the Ingram knife? Very cool set-up!! will you keep us updated on the performance of these knives?

PlaceKnives, could you email me the details of your design, production cost from Beck, etc... I too like sawbacks and think that's a neat design. That is if you don't mind a fellow forumite possibly ordering one. I understand that some folks are a little protective of their designs, and I would certainly understand.
Nice set.

Lagarto

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. The design started off a year ago as improved British MOD 4 survival knife. I had Jack Crain make my first proto and that design kinda evolved into this. This knife from Dave means that much more to me because it's my design and it's the only one. I don't think Dave would make another one, I believe it was a one time deal. You can ask him, but I'd rather it remain the only one. It's even stamped with my initials! (See above picture).
Here's another pic for you guys...
BeckKnife4.jpg

-Jared

That's cool man, just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Awesome piece of steel though, congrats again on designing such a nice piece.
Lagarto

VERY nice pair. I just ordered a #7 from Gene. I don't understand how he can charge so little for so much knife!!! I can't wait!!!

(yet I must...)

-John

Very nice set of knives you've got there. I like the use of the olive drab micarta scales on both knives.

The picture (on the stump) really shows good detail. Very nice.:)

--The Raptor--

Blast you will be amazed at the workmanship of Gene Ingram! Take my word for it, I have one of his customs and it may be one of the sharpest knives I've ever used. I love his flat grind....and he is one nice guy to do business with. I also like the fact that he is an outdoorsman and loves hunting.

Back