Bilton or JKM-1

So I’ve had a CAK for several years now and I absolutely love that knife. It’s a go to for heavier work and I’ve used it to fell small trees, build shelters and fires, and quarter deer among other things. However I think it’s time I add a smaller blade to my repertoire.
Of course I already have a variety of Moras, Kabars, and the like that more than adequately fill the role of a camp edc, but sometimes you just got scratch that hand forged itch, ya know?
What would you folks recommend? The Bilton or the JKM-1? Looking for something I can carry around camp or use as a smaller blade for hikes or even edc. I’ve also looked at the 12” AK, Sirupati, and Pen knives but I almost feel like those three are a tad too big for what I want. Any opinions are welcome. Thank you.

You can't go wrong with a minimicrobowie, basically the baby brother of the AK Bowie model. They come in a variety of sizes. The first one pictured below is 9" overall length and weighs 7 oz, with most of the length in the handle.

I like a knife with a full sized handle, even if the blade is short, so this one suits me. If you have small hands or don't mind a three finger grip you can get this model with a much shorter handle. Depends on what Yangdu has in stock at any given time. This model comes up on the forum a lot more often than the biltons or JKM-1.

View attachment 2132998

The second picture below has an elk handle. I think it was rehandled by Bawanna. I don't have the dimensions in front of me, but it clearly has a shorter handle than the one above.

View attachment 2133001

You can't go wrong with a minimicrobowie, basically the baby brother of the AK Bowie model. They come in a variety of sizes. The first one pictured below is 9" overall length and weighs 7 oz, with most of the length in the handle.

I like a knife with a full sized handle, even if the blade is short, so this one suits me. If you have small hands or don't mind a three finger grip you can get this model with a much shorter handle. Depends on what Yangdu has in stock at any given time. This model comes up on the forum a lot more often than the biltons or JKM-1.

View attachment 2132998

The second picture below has an elk handle. I think it was rehandled by Bawanna. I don't have the dimensions in front of me, but it clearly has a shorter handle than the one above.

View attachment 2133001
The second knife pictured is mine. It is about an inch shorter so about 8" overall. Originally the handle was like picture one with a bit of the tang left open. Mine is one of the original first batch made which if I recall was about 25 and sold out in just a couple weeks. Then the big handed folks wanted a longer handle and haven't seen many of the original since. I much prefer the shorter, far better balanced and just looks so much nicer but that's just my not very valuable opinion. I still watch for the short version and will buy everyone I can afford. I've probably given away 10 or 12. Guess I kind of like em.

The JKM-1 looks great. The Bilton handle looks a little narrow for me, but I haven’t handled either of those models.

Like the folks above, the Mini Bowie is my favorite small HI knife.

I got a Micro Mini that my Dad loved and was gifted, and later a slightly larger Mini Bowie with a trailing point for myself.

It’s one of my favorite knives overall. Good luck with your search.

5171509A-5B46-42D3-90C4-A5DD9D8AD990.jpeg
05A0B513-D50D-478D-972F-D3A8748D67C3.jpeg

The bottom knife is a Bhakta who originally made most of the bowie's. The one I carry now is slightly thinner and lighter in the blade. I think but I'm not certain it was made my Anil. Tried looking up the mark but don't see it.
I found a tape measure and mine were all 8" overall. Perfect. And when I cover the whole tang it gives a fuller grip. I think I'll ask Auntie to have a few of the original size made, can't have too many, although I generally can't seem to hang onto them. They find new homes too soon.

Back