BK 11 on a Sharpmaker

Hey guys,

I have a question about sharpening a Becker Necker on a sharpmaker. Because the blade is so upswept, the angle between the blade and the rods seems to change as I pull the knife down and back along a rod. Should I be pulling the knife straight down and back like this, or should I be lifting up on the handle as I pull down and back in order to keep the part of the blade that is in contact with the rod horizontal? I sharpied the edge of the blade and the rods seem to be taking metal away from the top of the ground edge towards the handle and then transitioning to taking metal away only from the very edge through the curve in the blade if I hold the knife itself horizontal throughout my stroke.

I realize the best way to go about it is probably to sharpen on a benchstone but I'm no good at that, so maybe someone who has successfully sharpened a BK11 on a sharpmaker can chime in.

I can get most other knives I own razor sharp, or at least good enough for me, with my sharpmaker.

I pitch the handle up more as I go down. Works for me. I don't know if that's the right way to do it though...

I got it sharper than factory by using that method with the fine stones.

I know that this is a little off base, but I was wondering if BKT/Ka-Bar was planning on making the 11 in different colors, like the Izula?:confused:

From my understanding they are focusing more on getting more blades added to the Becker line but who knows...Mr. Becker could have something up his sleeve.

Last edited:
Back