BK-16 vs BK-19

Are you finding one better than the other?

• No, both work equally well.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yes, the BK-16 because…please state your findings.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Yes the BK-19 because…please state your findings.

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
I have been pleasantly surprised by the BK-19 primarily because of the continuous curving edge. It is an awesome cutter and Im finding I grab it more and more all the time. The point is extremely fine and does wonder delicate work. The inly downside is the lack of a straight edge for some jobs that I like having a straightedge for, esp. scraping.

Im slowly thinking the BK-19 will take over the role of my main belt knife accordingly. I just need to get another set of amicarta scales so I can compare them fairly.

what are your findings?

It seems every time BKT releases a new knife I wonder if I bought my BK16 too soon: the 62, 18, and 19 have all looked nice.

the 62 is a very nice knife, but not nice enough to chase the 16 out of my pocket.
I have an 18, but it hasn't seen any use, because the 16 just works.
haven't handled a 19, more than half tempted to modify my 18 into a similar profile to see what I think.

It seems every time BKT releases a new knife I wonder if I bought my BK16 too soon: the 62, 18, and 19 have all looked nice.

IMO... The BK-16 is the winner of all the Tweeners. The 19 looks like it has the edge sweep of the 18 with a different spine profile. I don't *think* it's functionally different, tho I haven't held one. Looks like the 18 is a bit longer? IMO, the 16 is The One. It is not the most stylish, but I'm kind of lukewarm on the 18 and 19 looks anyway.

The BK-62 is fantastic. You have to want a Kephart specifically. The blade is a bit long for the handle IMO (true to the original). Between the 16 and the 62, it's really a question of whether you want a modern or vintage design.

No experience with the 19, but this thread needs pics

ABLVV86F2JPwmRkUr0L_gjGtCHrw_a7wWawThkL2gumi0XkG9sIX_u8n88T6SkKXXaEmNt6MTH_mOwYaj8l2K6WJCKKyub6td6cDAGrLx8f_BrdHrB3Luab3=w900

I need a BK -16 in my life. Looks like such a great knife. I have so many in that size but the blade shape just speaks to me.

Kinda wish they offered a pinned/riveted micarta handle option.

I can't really put one over the other as of yet. I suppose I find the 16 more utilitarian - but the 19 more "fun".

It's like asking which one of your kids you like best.
Of the choices, the 16 is the do-all of them.
The 19 is a cool design and there's really nothing about it I don't like.
That said, I am partial to the 18 because I'm a fan of trailing points - and it's one heck of a secy trailing point.

BTW, Uncle E has been known to say, in my presence, "If there's dirt under my feet, there's a 16 on my belt."

Back