BK-4/Machax Abilities?

My yard behind my house is mainly woods. I like it that way, but I spend a lot of time keeping the woods "in check". Trimming the trees, keeping the brush and brambles beat back, trimming out the poke, that kind of thing.

I usually do this stuff by gloved hand, pruning shears, axe, saw, and sweat. Working this evening, I got to wondering if this is why the Machax was born? Is this a good tool for keeping the woods at bay? Would it also do some light chopping? I've got two trees recently cut down I need to process, and this is a pretty common thing. I cut the big stuff with a chain saw, but the rest of it still needs to be taken care of.

Basically, is the 4 good at hacking down brush and brambles, and a solid choice for chopping at the same time?

Yes. The Machax is a very versatile tool. I find it really lives up to it's namesakes machete and axe. It can chop tough stuff like an axe and still it is quick enough to handle blackberry vines like a machete. Personally I think it carries well on the belt too as it isn't overly heavy either.

I have not had much opportunity to use mine however it does feel more nimble than the already quick BK9. Also if Mr.Siegle says it than what more do you need.

Thanks for the responses. Just trying to decide if a 4 would do what I need or if a machete used with my axe would be better. Sounds so far like the 4 would work.

Yes, the Machax is my go-to woods knife for exactly this stuff. The Machax is smaller in the hand than I thought it would be, apparently this is common. But once I got used to it I love it. If I need to take down a tree larger than say 5-6" I'll get my axe, but the Machax can chop well for a knife.... combined with a good saw it's great.

Ok - I gotta have one. Never heard of Becker before this last year, now I'm buying my 4th one. :)

I use my Machax for exactly this type of thing. I have cut down many honeysuckle bushes and small soft maple trees with mine. When using the Machax, its all in the wrist..

DSC01022.JPG

Sounds like you've got exactly the environment and needs that the Machax was born to handle. It will handle heavy chopping, not to mention the "light chopping" you require. It's an extremely capable tool.

I use my Machax for exactly this type of thing. I have cut down many honeysuckle bushes and small soft maple trees with mine. When using the Machax, its all in the wrist..

DSC01022.JPG

I would say from this picture, the 4 is more than qualified for my needs.

Sounds like you've got exactly the environment and needs that the Machax was born to handle. It will handle heavy chopping, not to mention the "light chopping" you require. It's an extremely capable tool.

Can't wait to try it. :)

I'm a relative late comer to the Machax party, but I can vouch for the versatility and utility of the thing. There is the fun factor that goes with it as well. It's a compact little beast.

You can see much Machax love here.

You guys are making me want another 4. Damn.

I'm a relative late comer to the Machax party, but I can vouch for the versatility and utility of the thing. There is the fun factor that goes with it as well. It's a compact little beast.

You can see much Machax love here.

Thanks for the link. Looks like the Machax might help turn some of my mundane tasks into some fun.

Be sure to look at some pictures of the machax in someone's hand. It's a nice tool, but not very large. I really like mine when I'm going to be doing a mix of chopping and fine work, but for cutting down vines and brambles in my backyard I really prefer the reach of a machete.

Craig, if you want to try out my 4 and my 9. I'd be glad to swing by. There's a good chance I'm going to the st charles gun show this weekend. It would be easy enough to stop by afterward.

my 4 was beheading coconuts an hour ago. Poor bastards didn't stand a chance.

I used the Machax this past weekend and will have it in hand most of this weekend too. Putting up tree stands, clearing shooting lanes, and opening up a clearing for a small food plot. It makes short work of the small weedy stuff up to 3 inch branches, and begs for more...
Never leave home with out it.

Back