BK Necker...feel free to chuckle...

Ever have one of those ideas that seemed like a good one at the time?

Thought my BK11 needed some blaze orange to make it easier to find if dropped, and I've also found while sitting in the bright sun in a boat, that black metal handles can get kinda hot if hanging around my neck.

The orange paint, sorta didn't go so well, it works, just kinda looks crappy. :D

BK-11-Orange-2.jpg

BK-11-Orange-1.jpg

Way to keep thinking! I was thinking about getting a can of that tool grip dip that comes in a can and doing something similar to my necker. It would leave a rubberized drip.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Actually, Chris, I think it look pretty good. The tool grip dip that myright is talking about might be kinda cool, too.

I don't think it's stupid at all. In fact, I'm wondering how I can find some blaze orange rubber to dip my handle in. Now that would be really cool.

EDIT: Ah, myright's way ahead of me.

love it! i would like to see the KBK11 offerd with lime green or blaze orange coatings, right form the factory

I actually wanted to try the tool dip stuff, but couldn't find any in stores around here.

Nothing wrong with that, it actually looks fine in the Sheath.

I found some of the stuff called "Plasti Dip" I think at Lowe's, but what you have done is fine, I'd go with that.

Nothing wrong with that, it actually looks fine in the Sheath.

I found some of the stuff called "Plasti Dip" I think at Lowe's, but what you have done is fine, I'd go with that.

I just got back from Lowes and forgot to buy that stuff.. Dangit.. It was on the list too.

I done a couple of Necker handles with the plastic dip and it worked great until I got some gas on them one day and the stuff became a big, red, gooey mess. One good thing about it, you can clean it off and redo it if you like.

We have a Lowe's about 20 miles away, and I will be in that town Wed. I'll check and see if and what colors they have.

Oh, on a further note, use caution with 100% acetone, I cleaned up the edges of the paint near the tang some, and if you rub to hard, it will start to take off the black factory coating.

That's good to know . . . especially for those of us who aren't too crazy about the black factory coating to begin with.:D

I think it look's kinda cool, good job. I just might do my son's necker like that.

That's good to know . . . especially for those of us who aren't too crazy about the black factory coating to begin with.:D

Word. Adding acetone to shopping list... :D

I think the paint job looks good, though, Chris. Don't know about the mileage on the tool dip. Every time I've tried to use it, it works great for a couple of weeks, then starts splitting at the handle ends (on tools, that is; haven't tried it on knives). That might just be the brand I bought, though...if I recall, an ACE hardware brand dip.

Anyway, I like the orange :)

Yep - reason #8,061 to be a part of BladeForums.

You could spend $25 a year to subscribe to a magazine that doesn't give you 10% of what you get here.

So, when do you plan on becoming a member?

Back