BK13 Questions

Yes, the BK13. The small, stainless China-made skeletonized fixed blade that you get with the BK7 and BK9. what type of steel is it? Is there any way we can get them individually, without purchasing the BK7 or BK9? I love the Beckers, but I can't afford to buy ten BK7s just to get a hold of ten BK13s ;)

I love both the BK9 and its little BK13 brother, but I wish we could get them separately.

It's playing in the league of 420 and such. Low content of carbon, good rust resistance and easy to sharpen. IMO a nice lil' bonus, but I need to order a BK9 to be sure..:D

According to an online retailer, they are made from 3Cr13.

To quote a post from a long dead thread here on these forums,
http://www.daido.co.jp/english/products/tool/tool.html
Then find 3CR13 in the table. It says that their name for it is S-STAR and that they consider it a "plastic mold steel". Then click on their link to the chemical compositions of plastic mold steels. You will find this composition.

C ____0.35
Mn ___0.8
Ni ____0.5
Cr ___13.5
Mo_____0.6

So it has more carbon than 420J2, but not as much as 420HC. With the nickel in there it ought to be pretty tough. But I don't think the edge retention will be all that great.

I don't recall where, but I recently read (heard?) that the BK13 will be "Made in the USA" sooner or later. When/if that comes to pass, I'd expect to see at least a marginal upgrade in materials.

...just something else to consider.

If I remember correctly, in the recent interview with Ethan Becker*he mentioned that they were going to start making them at Ka-Bar, and that they should be available "soon" (I don't know what "soon" means, though).

Yes it is comparable to 420. Yes, Eathan said on his audio interview that KA BAR will be making one soon in the USA with a 440A stainless steel blade.

What I don't get is Ethan's statement about how 440A is a better steel for a knife than 440C. I've always heard the opposite. In my experience, all my 440C's have dominated my 440As as for edge retention, and I can get them sharp just as fast as 440A and I've never seen a spec of rust on either.

I'm with you on the 440C vs 440A, 440C has better edge retention.

supposedly this is called "the remora". will be offered in 440A made right there at KaBar Olean USA, hollow ground; with sheath? mmm. intriguing.

i seem to recall rumors of another neck knife as well... plus other offerings hinted at around SHOT but haven't seen forthcoming goodies. yet. i used to be patient. no more. now now now :)

the machax or some kind of whacker is making a come back. the question is WHEN and what :) yar. i'll take 3, save one, beat one up, and up, frame the third? right ;)

Bladite

Yes it is comparable to 420. Yes, Eathan said on his audio interview that KA BAR will be making one soon in the USA with a 440A stainless steel blade.

What I don't get is Ethan's statement about how 440A is a better steel for a knife than 440C. I've always heard the opposite. In my experience, all my 440C's have dominated my 440As as for edge retention, and I can get them sharp just as fast as 440A and I've never seen a spec of rust on either.

I didn't hear the audio interview, but I can only imagine that 440A is better in terms of rust resistance & that's about it. 440A's easy to sharpen, but I've never had a 440A knife that could hold an edge as good as "real" 440C (As apposed to made in China 440C, which is definitely suspect).

IIRC, Eathan stated that the initial run of BK13's that are included with the BK7's & 9's were to see if there's an interest in them. I'm sure the interest is there & apparently they're going to make & sell them on their own. I just wish they'd stick to their 1095 CroVan or use 440C or better if they're going to SS route.

Back