BK2 for Fathers' Day?

Hi all,
Just a quick question: is the BK2 a decent knife for hunting? I'm thinking of getting my Dad one for Fathers' Day, but he would really only use it for hunting. Right now he only has some kind of Buck skinner and about 2 dozen or more folders for various uses. He doesn't do much camping, but I know he hunts all day when he goes and does use his knife. So what do you think? Thanks.
Gray

Yes yes a great gift! as a matter of fact I giving a BK2 & BK9 as a his & her's wedding gifts this september.and a BK2 for a graduation this june!
now if your Dad is like any of us at blade forum he will be useing it at the dinner table and all kinds of other things that a BK2 not out hunting can do!
yes i'd call it a excellent hunting knife.
you obviously love your Father very much.
BK2 a great choice

The Bk2 is a great knife for hunting, and makes a great gift, too. Like exidor said, your Dad may like it so much he will find all kinds of uses for it other than hunting.

I love my BK2, and wouldn't part with it for the world ... neither will your Dad.

LOL! Thanks guys. Now, I have another question, does it come with a sheath or will I have to get one separately or will he have to find one? If it doesn't and to be honest he'll probably want to find his own sheath, where can i direct him to do that? Or where can I find one? Thanks again.
Gray

The Bk2 comes with a pretty decent Kydex type sheath. I really like it, but if, for some reason, he wanted a custom sheath, there are a number of makers here on the forums.

I would consider asking your Dad if he likes it first, rather than surprising him. My BK2 is one of my favorite knifes but when I showed it to a friend of mine he called it a Rambo brick and handed it back to me. My point it that not all knifes are for all people. A Case "Trapper" is a safe gift, a BK2 is not simply because of the weight.

I agree with NorCalMtn2, it might be wise to ask. the BK2 is a isn't that long of a knife but it is mighty beefy. Some people might not "understand" or like a knife like this, but I sure do. Altough it can perform finer cutting chores, it really shines as a heavy duty woods knife for chopping, splitting and prying(Becker's train wrecker), I thinks it's dang near unbreakable.
He wouldn't need a cleaver anymore if he had this knife though.

Another consideration is the BK11 necker, would make a great primary,backup,or kit knife that is tough and capable of alot more than it's size would indicate.

If I may ask, what kind of game does he hunt mostly and what kind of terrain ?

I agree with NorCalMtn2, it might be wise to ask. the BK2 is a isn't that long of a knife but it is mighty beefy. Some people might not "understand" or like a knife like this, but I sure do. Altough it can perform finer cutting chores, it really shines as a heavy duty woods knife for chopping, splitting and prying(Becker's train wrecker), I thinks it's dang near unbreakable.
He wouldn't need a cleaver anymore if he had this knife though.

Another consideration is the BK11 necker, would make a great primary,backup,or kit knife that is tough and capable of alot more than it's size would indicate.

If I may ask, what kind of game does he hunt mostly and what kind of terrain ?

Thanks for all the info. If people disagreed about the BK2 I was gonna ask if the BK11 would be a good knife to give him as a backup. I'm a paracord freak and could make a nice wrap for it for him.
He mostly hunts deer and sometimes turkey. He used to be really big outdoor kind of guy, but since his knees have given up on him he only goes for hunting season. He hunts mostly in WV which means wet, wet, wet. He's got all the lastest stuff that keeps him dry and he's really good at keeping up with his equipment. The terrain is not steep but very hilly, pretty thick forest. Does that help? I'm sorry I can't answer more. I hike these woods, but I've never hunted or gone hunting with him. Personally, i think he goes out there to nap in his tree stand since he never gets anything except in bow season. :)
And in response to a previous post, I do love my dad a lot. One of the best EDC he says I ever got him was a Buck Rush. He carried that thing for years, he loved it. Now that I know a little bit more about knives, I'd like to get him something that he'll really use and like. He doesn't much like trappers and what I call "traditional" pocket knives like stockmans and such. He has a bunch of them, but he doesn't use them. He likes pocket knives like the SOG flash one (he doesn't have one of those, that's just the only one I could think of that is similar in size and style to what I've seen him carry).
Thanks again for all the suggestions. I really like the Becker's and while I'm getting a necker for myself at some point, I thought Dad might like one too...just thought He'd like the BK2 since it's kind of a "grr" knife. :)
Gray

Like others have mentioned, it is heavy. But it's rock solid, too. You might carefully ask your Dad if he likes that kind of knife. If he does, then the BK2 is the one.

You can't go wrong with a BK11, I carry one on my woods pack. The only person who wouldn't like a BK11 is someone who only likes folders.
3415751967_05eacd0f08.jpg

Back