BK62 Scales Question

GeofS

“Nostra-bladus”
Gold Member
Hi all,

Is it possible that KA-BAR is using a stain on the walnut scales? I’m just wondering because when I’ve sanded, it has revealed lighter wood that doesn’t ever seem to darken and blend with the rest of the scale.

It can be seen here, on both the top and bottom part of the scale...
ZzgLrAs.jpg
Even when I’ve oiled them after, there is a noticeable color difference.

Any ideas why?

could be a stain, could be that you're using a finer grit so it doesn't soak up as much oil.
Watco brand Danish oil comes in plain oil and tinted -- might be worth trying.
otherwise, maybe sand the entire scale to see if anything else lightens up?

Thanks, Vik. I’m using pure tung oil. I want to keep it as natural as possible.

a little BLO will darken that right back up too, and soak in deeper (depending on your patience).
I like a few coats of BLO over the course of half an hour while doing other things, and then some furniture wax. But once they come home, they just get butcher block treatment on the handles.

Walnut is often quite light before it's been hit with some kind of finish, tinted or otherwise.

I always thought the handles had been lightly oiled as part of the manufacturing process, but that was always just a hunch. However, it that were the case, then it would make sense for it to become slightly lighter after sanding.

I was wondering if the darker parts that you see were from you handling it before?

I'm really surprised we haven't seen aftermarket scales?
the ones that came with the knives were a let down for me. The two pairs I have seemed softer than I'm use to with walnut.....And they Shrunk, Big Time!
I agree with post about using Danish oil finish… I use it on everything wood. I even rub it into my micarta Becker handles. It gives them a Richer, more wood-like feel.

I like pure tung oil...
es5Srml.jpg

fO9QkhM.jpg

It always gives such a rich depth. :thumbsup:

Looks nice.... I'm embarrassed to say, from memory.... I don't remember what all the various oils are like?
Danish is Very easy to use as well... It's rich, and beautiful. It Can come in a variety of colors (all are mild, nothing drastic) I often use cherry or walnut on really Any wood.... it's subtle, the coloring.

I believe after a number of coates it absorbs some into the grains, and Slightly hardens the wood... Very slightly.
I remember my father restoring rifle stocks with it back in the day... (he always used Danish) I started using it for furniture making as well..... I love how easy it is, no streaking, and the smell brings back fond memories...haha

gosh guys, don't you know what a french polish is?

most of yer oils and stains darken and yellow

perhaps you want more out of life :D

Just plane old Mineral Oil has worked well for me . Food safe and Simple. Wipe on a dab every couple days till fully absorbed you will have a nice look and may never need more but if you ever do just a wipe on and off your good to go for you knows?
462DBC20-A067-4D00-BBA0-2F4CACEA78F7.jpeg 90A65ABB-C378-4772-9265-C9E9DFB63744.jpeg 1C9B2E1C-4008-43E4-B12D-2F789C7027B1.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with Xr6x Xr6x I have a bottle of cutting board oil I keep handy. (It’s just food safe mineral oil) For wooden spoons, cutting boards, knife handles. I Even use it to lube my slip joint knives.

Back