bk7 or bk9

Howdy I just wanted to appeal to the more experienced folks here and as if there is a real difference in chopping performance between the bk-7 and bk 9, any help would be great thanks.

Riley;

I prefer the BK9 for chopping, batoning, and use as a drawknife. Those extra 2 inches of blade (both the length and the weight) make it better-suited as a chopper than the BK7.

Coming from a person that didn't follow the recommendations of this forum get the BK9. The 7 is fine but those 2 extra inches and the extra weight make a world of difference.

Does anyone have any comments regarding carrying the 9 all day? I'm trying to decide between the 7 and 9 as well but I'm concerned that the 9 is more of a vehicle or around camp knife because of the size and weight.

Does anyone have any comments regarding carrying the 9 all day? I'm trying to decide between the 7 and 9 as well but I'm concerned that the 9 is more of a vehicle or around camp knife because of the size and weight.

unless you need to be stabbing bears and cougars, the extra 2 inches of weight isn't going to bother you any more than the 7 all by itself would. strap it to the outside of your pack/whatever. get funky.

Bladite

I have to disagree with Wolf_1989; I also have both knives (Camillus versions) and the BK9 is a far better chopper than the BK7.

For some reason, the BK9 feels and performs much "bigger" than the 2 inch difference.

(Though the BK7 might be an all around more "useful" knife.) :cool:

I have the Camillus BK9, and have no problem carrying that with me.
Took it with me when the wife and I took the dog for a day long outing on Sunday.
Had it strapped to the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipak and hardly even noticed it.
I was collecting deadwood for making walking sticks. It works great for chopping.
Don't think a 7" knife would have worked as well.

btw RR, been watching your YouTube vids. Nicely done!:thumbup:

I have to disagree with Wolf_1989; I also have both knives (Camillus versions) and the BK9 is a far better chopper than the BK7.

For some reason, the BK9 feels and performs much "bigger" than the 2 inch difference.

(Though the BK7 might be an all around more "useful" knife.) :cool:

Well, yeah it is a better chopper. No doubt about that.

I just find the BK7 overall more handy to carry & use. It's roughly the same size as one of my favorite knives of all time - the USMC KaBar.

I tend to lean towards the BK9 over the BK7 for Chopping...anything other than chopping priority 1, I like the BK7 it has a more utility feel to me,my BK9 & BK7 are both Camillus and if chopping is main priority I go with BK9 butCamillus BK spec for ya..
BK7:7" 0170-6C carbon steel .188" thick stock High, flat saber grind Coated in black epoxy-powder coating Full tang, Weight: 12.9 oz
BK9:Blade: 9" length .210" thickness 0170-6C carbon steel Black epoxy powdercoat Weight: 18.25 oz

Ka-bar BK7:Blade Length: 7" 1095CroVan
Overall Length: 12.75"
Blade Thickness: 0.188"
Weight: 12.9 oz.

Kabar BK9:Blade Length: 9" 1095CroVan
Overall Length: 14 3/4"
Blade Thickness: .188"
Weight: 1.15 lbs

you decide on thickness & weight which you like ! The newer Ka-bar BK7 & BK9 are same thickness you just gain reach & a few ounces
I really like you youtube vids:thumbup::D

I have both, but I prefer the BK-9. It feels better in my hand.

BK9.

I dont even notice the weight. its actually a lighter knife than the railroad track thick BK2........:)

Back