Bk7 Sheath Mod

About two weeks ago, I picked up my first full sized Becker, a BK7. Its freakin' awesome. Everything I expected it to be. The sheath was a bit oversized for my needs. Before I make a leather one I wanted to see what my fellow BF members have done with theirs. There was not a whole lot out there...or maybe my Internet surfing skills just are not up to snuff. Either way, I wanted to give it a whirl.
I wanted to take two or three inches off the overall length. I started by determining where I wanted to cut down the plastic insert but first I need to get to it. The insert has a tab which is stitched in. I cut away where the stich was.

I then lined up the insert to the knife and cut away. You can see the tab below.
Since I cut away the tab, I needed a way to help secure the insert. Hopefully the little barbs will hold.
Now to cut down the sheath.
Next step was to super glue the layers together and stitch back together. I reused the border, trying to keep it looking stock. Problem was I broke the needle attempting to stitch. The glue will hold for now until I can borrow a sewing machine.
And a few more glamor shots

Total time, about 15 minutes. Albeit if I was able to sew it would have been 30 easily.

Best of all, I'm sitting here with a BK7 in my front right pocket of my cargo shorts, in the factory sheath. I am more than pleased with how this turned out. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, the was a 3. Go ahead, do it. You'll be glad you did.

Nice work man.

Update...barbs needed to be bigger and on all four corners on the insert. So while I added additional barbs, I decided to take a torch to the insert and take away the dreaded rattle I keep reading about. In all honesty it didn't bother me but what the hell, I already had the torch out. Everything back where it belongs, increased retention all the way around.

Update...barbs needed to be bigger and on all four corners on the insert. So while I added additional barbs, I decided to take a torch to the insert and take away the dreaded rattle I keep reading about. In all honesty it didn't bother me but what the hell, I already had the torch out. Everything back where it belongs, increased retention all the way around.
Good job cEdge I like it

Fabulous job. The BK7 is an awesome knife, an deserving of a more compact sheath. You tackled the problem like a pro.

Nice job. Too easy, and I really get tired of that part of the sheath bending and keeping me from being able to easily tuck mine between my drivers seat n console. May give it a try. Thanks

I just replaced them all with sheaths I didn't have to modify. I can't tolerate looseness or rattle or half assed design.
Sure, cost was up, but I got sheaths that work the way I want them to, in lengths and colors I want, and styles I want.

To the OP. You did a good job. Thanks for the pics.

Nice job. Too easy, and I really get tired of that part of the sheath bending and keeping me from being able to easily tuck mine between my drivers seat n console. May give it a try. Thanks

Pretty much what drove me to do this. I scoured the interwebs looking for mods. I did stumble on one where the person completely took apart the stock sheath and reassembled it. Too much work for me. This was simple.

I just replaced them all with sheaths I didn't have to modify. I can't tolerate looseness or rattle or half assed design.
Sure, cost was up, but I got sheaths that work the way I want them to, in lengths and colors I want, and styles I want.

To the OP. You did a good job. Thanks for the pics.

Thank you. I agree the stock sheaths are not for everyone but to keep costs down I understand why. I usually replace with a leather sheath, preferably a modular design I make myself. I like to keep costs down as well :)

Awesome "25¢" mod. I love that kinda stuff, especially when it works and even more when it suits your needs to a "T".

About two weeks ago, I picked up my first full sized Becker, a BK7. Its freakin' awesome. Everything I expected it to be. The sheath was a bit oversized for my needs. Before I make a leather one I wanted to see what my fellow BF members have done with theirs. There was not a whole lot out there...or maybe my Internet surfing skills just are not up to snuff. Either way, I wanted to give it a whirl.
I wanted to take two or three inches off the overall length. I started by determining where I wanted to cut down the plastic insert but first I need to get to it. The insert has a tab which is stitched in. I cut away where the stich was.

I then lined up the insert to the knife and cut away. You can see the tab below.
Since I cut away the tab, I needed a way to help secure the insert. Hopefully the little barbs will hold.
Now to cut down the sheath.
Next step was to super glue the layers together and stitch back together. I reused the border, trying to keep it looking stock. Problem was I broke the needle attempting to stitch. The glue will hold for now until I can borrow a sewing machine.
And a few more glamor shots

Total time, about 15 minutes. Albeit if I was able to sew it would have been 30 easily.

Best of all, I'm sitting here with a BK7 in my front right pocket of my cargo shorts, in the factory sheath. I am more than pleased with how this turned out. On a difficulty scale of 1 to 10, the was a 3. Go ahead, do it. You'll be glad you did.
Hi I’d love to modify the original sheath too but didn’t wanna accidentally absolutely destroy it but the images are no longer available here

Hi I’d love to modify the original sheath too but didn’t wanna accidentally absolutely destroy it but the images are no longer available here
I just received mine. The internal plastic insert came out almost immediately when I tried to put the knife and the cardboard protector, that the knife came with, inside the insert. (shown in photo). The cardboard protector didn't fit, and when I pulled it out, the insert came with it. Which is what I wanted in the end, but the fact that it came out so easy was a bit alarming.
So just to be clear, the insert on mine was not sown in to the sheath or mechanically attached in any way except some cheap glue.

I wish someone just sold a fitted insert for the OEM sheath so that the sheaths don't get wasted.

That's a shame this happened.
I'd contact KaBar about it for warranty

why'd you try to put it in with the cardboard on? Seems obvious that won't fit? The Becker knives itself have decent fits in my factory sheaths. Not much room to wiggle them around,

No its all good. The insert is useless either way. I actually wanted it to come out so I could examine it.

Last edited:
Back