BK7 Steels

Does anyone know how the 0170-6C steel of the Camillus generation BK7 compares with Ka-Bars 1095 cro-van BK7?

Check out this link. http://www.knifeart.com/steelfaqbyjo.html

From what I've read on the forums here and elsewhere they are essentially the same steel type. How the heat treat is done may be different and could make a difference in performance in theory, but both companies know (knew) what they are doing.

Bottom line is they are both excellent and I doubt you'd ever know a difference in use.

My brother is a proud former Marine and he collects KaBar USMC combat/utility knives.

Comparing the two Camillus BK&T vs KaBar, we believe that the steel used in the Camillus BK&T knives takes a keener edge than KaBar's 1095 CroVan... but only moderately. KaBar's steel seems a little bit softer (which would make it more shock resistant), but again, only moderately.

Short comparison:

Camillus 0170-6C - slightly harder steel, slightly keener edge.

KaBar 1095 CroVan - steel not quite as hard as 0170-6C, slightly stronger steel.

* When I say KaBar's steel is softer, I'm not saying it's soft and weak like some cheap pakistani import blade. It's a little bit softer compared to 0170-6C. The folks at KaBar have been working with 1095 for a long time and in my opinion they are experts in the industry when it comes to that particular grade of steel. I prefer KaBar's 1095 to any other 'production' knife in that steel. While it won't take an edge quite as sharp as 0170-6C, it will come really close and it will certainly take an edge you can shave with and it will hold that edge well. The trade-off is the KaBar BK's should prove to be a bit tougher in the field than the Camillus models.

I'll be able to tell more when I finally get a KaBar BK7 and compare the two, which is a good excuse to buy one I reckon. :D

Back