BK9 - Short Review

My BK9 showed up from NGK last week. I was too busy during the week for testing so I gave the BK9 a short workout this weekend. This is my first "Big Chopper" so I didn't know what to expect from this knife.

P1060182-1.jpg

P1060200.jpg

P1060208.jpg

WOW!!! is the only thing I can say about the BK9's ability to chop. I almost dropped my jaw after seeing how fast I could cut through limbs and small trees. I never thought a large knife could preform that well at chopping but I doubt my hatchets will get much use anymore.

P1060209.jpg

P1060211.jpg

P1060213.jpg

P1060214.jpg

I really like the sheath that comes with it and getting the BK13 as a extra little gift is really nice. I didn't do much cutting with the BK13 but the knife fits my hand perfectly because of the pinky rope that comes on it.

P1060263.jpg

I can only think of two complaints I have and one is very small.

1. It would have been real nice if my BK11 or RAT Izula could fit in the pocket for the BK13. Its not that I don't trust the BK13 but it would be nice to have a little larger knife for the small stuff.

2. I believe I got a BK9 that probably should have been kept at KA-BAR because there are a few "chunks" missing out of the jimping. I'm not going to call KA-BAR or NGK because this will not hurt the performance of the knife and this is a user. I don't need it to look pretty so I wont be worrying about something minor like this BUT it does kind of suck to get a new tool that's blemished from the start. I have some questions about the knife now but only time will tell how it holds up.

P106027056456-1.jpg

Last edited:
I should also add that I really like the handle on the BK9. While chopping I found that because of the hook at the back of the handle I was able to keep the hook part between my pinky and ring finger and really "rain the pain" down on to what I was chopping.

I also really, really, really, like that the tang sitcks out the back of the knife...you never know what you might need to smash!:D

The BK9 came slicing through paper sharp but not arm hair shaving sharp...of course I'm the first to admit my arm hair is that of a 12 year old girl :grumpy: so that probably doesn't help.

Nice review and good pics, rmc85. Good sense of design on the shots. Now you won't be able to help yourself; you'll want to collect the whole set (I'd say BK-2 next).

Nice review. I think you worded the jimping issue much nicer than I would have. It is a real shame that made it through quality control. KaBar should be better than that. Enjoy the BK9, I romp on mine and it just keeps going strong.

AHHHH! the All black millie next to the BK11 and 9 is AWESOME!

If you want, the Izula in its sheath will fit in the main pouch of the 9's sheath. I removed the BK13's insert last night. The main pocket holds a leatherman Charge with enough room to spare for a fire kit or something else.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna give the 9 a much harder work out this weekend because the woman's gonna be out of town. I'll have plenty of time to drink beer, go shooting, and chop stuff in a few days!

I'll try to get some better pics too. I'm sure I'll have a BK2 coming my way after not too long here...

You'll love the BK-2. No one can tell you what the BK-2 is really like: you have to hold it in your hand to know. Once you have it in hand, you wonder why you waited so long to get one.

AHHHH! the All black millie next to the BK11 and 9 is AWESOME!

Let me tell you something about the Military. AMAZING EDC knife! I started with it and then got a Police3. I have a FG Para Military in D2 that should get here Thursday. I still carry the Military the most because its almost the perfect folder (I cant say it's perfect because then I would have to stop buying folders!:D). Light weight, big, S30V, good lock, G-10...good stuff.

I carry my Police3 some but the Military is a beast and I LOVE it! I figured I needed the Para so I could have something close to the Military to carry where I cant have a concealed weapon :rolleyes:.

I went out picking some blackberrys last night and hauled along my BK9, Glock 23, and my shotgun shell pouch which I use to put the blackberrys in. With all the rain FL has had in the past week and a half the blackberrys finally sprung up.

I took the BK9 along because I knew there would be some stuff to cut since this is my first time out this picking season. I cut everything from light brush (overkill) to some small trees and weeds that have grown up. I always cut a path and try to stay on it so I do as little damage to the blackberrys as I can. I also used the BK9 to cut myself a walking stick for poking around where I'm about to step. I almost met the bad end of a Diamondback Rattler last year so the walking stick and Glock 23 are a must have.

Summary: BK9 is still exceding my expectations and is a great tool.

P1060289.jpg

P1060331.jpg

P1060348.jpg

the Bk 9 is one useful tool." I believe I got a BK9 that probably should have been kept at KA-BAR because there are a few "chunks" missing out of the jimping" Ka-bar seems to be making a habbit of sending out knives that they should keep. just four days ago I sent back a BK2 looking down the spine you could see the grind at the tip was at a 40 degree angle.the tip was on the left side.it's one thick blad, looked like Stevie Wonder put the edge on it.It was to be a graduation gift they were on back order so.He's getting a Izula OD Green And I got one also IZULA ROCKS!!! I like it way more than my BK 11.anyway Get a BK2 it's a beast! just request the guys inspect before it ships.
and nice BK9 review.

Back