BK9 thickness

Hello!
Does anyone know if the blade thickness on the Kabar BK9 (.188) is thinner than the Camillus BK9 (listed at .210)? Looks like the taper from cutting edge to back is different also???

yes it is,and yes it is.the kabar is stronger then the camillus.
if you haven't already,get the BK 9 and then a BK 2 you will be set for life.
I like the ka bar versions better.witch it great because thats all thats out ther now.
unless you want to pay lot's of $$$ for the few camillus versions that are out there.
hope this helps.

It would seem if the Camillus version is .210 thick vs. .188 on Kabar, the Camillus should be stronger? Metals used in construction that different?
Or am I thinking incorrectly?
Thanks for the info....

Last edited:
Have you tested the "strength" - by which I guess you mean "toughness" - of the Ka-Bar BK9 against the Camillus BK9?

Yes I mean "toughness" I'm just taken Mr Becker at his word.
I own bolth camillus & kabar BK9 I've beat on them bolth,they each sharpen easy chop awsomely.great knives.

I have both the camillus & kabar flavors and can't tell a difference, but lets not kids ourselves that thinner is better in a chopper. Is 0.9 of a gallon of ice cream tastier than 1.0 gallon? :) Everything keeps getting downsized (smaller, lighter, less) but we are always told thats its an improvement, and by the way it costs more too. Again, nothing against a thinner blade (well, thats not true), but don't ask me to pretend that its better. :)

Sounds like the Kabar is the way to go for the money. Thanks for the replies....

I don't have either ones but I will get the Kabar version of the Bk-9.
Buying the old Camilus version is too damn expensive and I'm not sure it's a better knife.

you won't go wrong with kabar BK9 (I'm not pretending)it will serve you well.
and may I sugest your next becker be a BK2.

Yes I mean "toughness" I'm just taken Mr Becker at his word.
I own bolth camillus & kabar BK9 I've beat on them bolth,they each sharpen easy chop awsomely.great knives.

Though I think that the KaBar BK9 is a solid knife, I'm far from convinced that it's "tougher" than the Camillus version.
From the mass of the two knives, and the similar blade steel, it would seem that if anything, the Camillus would be "tougher".

It would be great if you could post a link or something showing where Ethan Becker said otherwise.

Though I think that the KaBar BK9 is a solid knife, I'm far from convinced that it's "tougher" than the Camillus version.
From the mass of the two knives, and the similar blade steel, it would seem that if anything, the Camillus would be "tougher".

It would be great if you could post a link or something showing where Ethan Becker said otherwise.

What I believe he meant is that the 1095 Cro-Van used on the new Beckers is a tad less hard on the Rockwell scale and a bit tougher than the 0170-6 (IIRC) steel Camillus used. The Camillus at the increased thickness should still be tougher, but looking at their specs I doubt you'd be able to break either one of them without help from a vise and cheater bar.

What I believe he meant is that the 1095 Cro-Van used on the new Beckers is a tad less hard on the Rockwell scale and a bit tougher than the 0170-6 (IIRC) steel Camillus used. The Camillus at the increased thickness should still be tougher, but looking at their specs I doubt you'd be able to break either one of them without help from a vise and cheater bar.

Eight Trigrams - I think you're probably right.

Good point, thanks for the post. :cool:

From my understanding of it:

Camillus Beckers - harder steel with better edge retention

KaBar Beckers - more resilient & flexible steel with only slightly worse edge retention than the Camillus models

Apples and oranges really.

My own experiences with KaBar's wonderful version of good ol' 1095 lead me to think that even though the blades are a little bit thinner, that's ok because the steel they use is so well formulated and heat treated that it doesn't necessarily *need* to be thicker.

Hey Guys....

If you combine what Eight Trigrams and Wolf 1989 posted I would be hard pressed to say it better....

All Best...

ethan

Back