Black Delrin Winchesters?

At the same flea market where I bought the Camillus, the seller had about 5 different patterns of "Winchester" slipjoints (stamped "Made in U.S.A.), with Black Jigged Delrin scales and stainless steel blades. He said he thought they were contracts by Bluegrass Cutlery, and I know that B.C. did contract some Winchester slipjoints from Queen in the past with carbon steel blades.

Does anyone know who made these? To me they did not really look or feel like Queen, they seemed more like Camillus maybe?

I've seen those as well. They definitely did not have the fit and finish of a Queen. The price showed that, too. I would also be interested in hearing what the story was on these.

I don't believe that any Winchester's with black derlin and SS blades were included in the Bluegrass Cutlery offering line. They were all upscale with carbon steel blades that had the Winchester logo black etch and decent quality scales. At one point in the late 1990's I had nearly a dozen of all variety, but none fitting your descrition.. Maybe Camillus?:confused:

Queen definitely made a line of Winchester slipjoints with brushed finish SS blades and jigged black delrin handles. If you look at the tooling you will see the Queen pattern resemblance but they were not finely finished like the bone versions were. Seemed to be a one shot deal but they did make a variety of patterns. Bluegrass was the "middle man" - these were ven listed on the Bluegrass website at one time.

Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Winchester-USA-...ryZ88919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are you sure they are delrin? A lot of those knives were a deep brownish black bone; in fact all the ones I have are, and they were made by Queen.

Mr. knifeaholic nailed it quite accurately.

Here is my black Delrin Canoe pattern...

149pfer.jpg

They were on the site for awhile, but haven't checked lately.

Bill

P. S.
OK, just checked...they are under the "Work Knife" series.
http://www.s-denterprises.com/bluegrasscutlery/index.html

knifeaholic said:
Queen definitely made a line of Winchester slipjoints with brushed finish SS blades and jigged black delrin handles.

I'll bet that's it, you are describing perfectly the ones I saw!

The blades had that dull matte finish, like Queens recent Cocobolo line did and the scales were just black jigged delrin.

And he had a Canoe just like El Lobo shows.

I was thrown off by the overall look, seems much more like a Camillus, but if they were a "work" series that would expalin it.

I see: there are 2 separate lines of those knives. Duh!

knifeaholic said:
.. Queen definitely made a line of Winchester slipjoints with brushed finish SS blades and jigged black delrin handles.

..If you look at the tooling you will see the Queen pattern resemblance but they were not finely finished like the bone...

I stand corrected! Thanks for the info knifeaholic.

I had (and still have) some of these. They were definitely (marked) from blue grass. They were carbon steel blades (brushed, almost satin finished). With black jigged delrin and thick brass liners. The "F & F" was mediocre at best. The ones I bought had came from smoky in the late 90's. A couple that I had were the slimline trapper and whittler. I believe I didnt pay more than 19-24.99 apiece.

rev jch,

If your knives are from the Work Series, I beg to differ about the carbon steel blades. Mine is stainless, and they are still listed at SMKW, and at the Blue Grass site, as having stainless blades. I believe they were probably blanked 420HC, and not mirror polished, to keep the cost down on a user type knife.

Example...
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/e...der=Default&Submit.x=6&Submit.y=9&SKU=WR29010

Bill
P. S.
You may, of course, have something different.

Bill, thats interesting. I noticed on the whittler that I had used, that the blades darkened with use. Also, when I bought it the flyer did list them as having carbon blades. Of course smoky has been known to be wrong on their advertising before.

However, the blades have behaved just like carbon with use. Even 420 can stain some, but only carbon can darken as it does with use.

We may be talking about different knives, the ones I saw were not stamped with anything that identified them as blue grass, and the blades were definitely not carbon.

I'm starting to feel a bit anal here...:eek:

Anyway, the Blue Grass site has these knives, and says the blades are stainless...
http://www.s-denterprises.com/bluegrasscutlery/index.html
(Shoot...you've got to click on Winchester Knives, and scroll down to Work series, and click on a knife...sorry!).

Here is the warranty paperwork from Blue Grass...that came in the Winchester box, with the Canoe I posted...
14aen21.jpg

Other than that...:confused: ...as I was just trying to share some information.

Bill

The Last Confederate said:
We may be talking about different knives, the ones I saw were not stamped with anything that identified them as blue grass, and the blades were definitely not carbon.

I'm with TLC and Rev Jch. The ones I saw were definitely stainless and the fit and finish was pretty bad. I would extremely surprised if they were a Blue Grass Cutlery product by way of Queen. And the price was something like $20, which again would make me believe they weren't a Queen product.

Whoooops, never mind. My reading skills were poor.

Bill
Off to take some aspirin...:rolleyes: J/K...:D

I am fairly sure the ones I saw were the same as the one El Lobo has, the Canoe was identical to the one he shows.

El Lobo, does yours actually say "Blue Grass" on the knife or just on the paperwork?

TLC,
Mine is marked:
WINCHESTER
-TRADE MARK-
MADE IN USA

The Blue Grass is on the black and red box, as well as in the warranty paperwork. I have a couple of other knives that Blue Grass was involved with, where the box, as well as the paperwork was marked.....

''Produced under license by Blue Grass Cutlery, Inc. - Knife Licensee.''

But, I've never seen a knife marked Blue Grass.
As you know, there are many Winchesters made offshore and imported by Gerber (Fiskars)...maybe some folks have seen some newer versions of these knives, besides the wood scaled ones???

Bill

El Lobo said:
TLC,
Mine is marked:
WINCHESTER
-TRADE MARK-
MADE IN USA

Yeah, that was the stamp on the oens I saw. he had them out of the boxes and I never saw the box, but I am certain were talking about the same knives.

El Lobo said:
But, I've never seen a knife marked Blue Grass.

Me either.

I'll have to look and see if i have any left when I get a chance and look at the stamp and check it. Its been a long time. I did sell over 120 knives to a dealer this past year so Im not sure if they ended up in the mix, or not.

Back