Black Oxide Custom Shop

Good afternoon, tell me please, is the finish of the Black Oxide blade on the Buck 110 and Buck 112 looks matte or glossy?
Does anyone have it to take a close-up photo?

Thank you in advance

Older were semi gloss finish. Newer could be cerakote which is flat.

I would contact Buck to confirm if it is indeed carakote, as the website states black oxide.
If it is indeed black oxide I would hurry up and order it as I suspect it will eventually be carakote.
The black oxide is what they used on the older AG knives and they had a slight gloss to them. They were pretty.

edit;
The older AG ones were titanium-nitride coated I believe.

Last edited:
I think the black oxide finish is a whole different process than the ag series of knives.the ag series used a diamond like coating for the first models,which was less glossy,rhen they used a coating from black widow which was also a DLC coating,but more dark and glossy than the original,and now Buck is using ceracote on their alaskan guide series.the black oxide option in the custom shop is an oxide coating that doesn't last nearly as long as the dlc or ceracote.

View attachment 1363447

whats on my belt today. think I'm the only one here who likes this model knife. I share it too much, but I carry and use it a lot.

was a great show. knives, cars, accessories and all. thanks all.

I think the black oxide finish is a whole different process than the ag series of knives.the ag series used a diamond like coating for the first models,which was less glossy,rhen they used a coating from black widow which was also a DLC coating,but more dark and glossy than the original,and now Buck is using ceracote on their alaskan guide series.the black oxide option in the custom shop is an oxide coating that doesn't last nearly as long as the dlc or ceracote.

This

I have one and the black oxide will get your fingers black when you touch it. It is not what is on the AG series. It is the top knife here.
IMG_0981.JPG

The one I got a about six years ago has titanium nitride coating. It’s a satin finish so it’s not glossy but not a dull flat look either. It’s tough and hasn’t worn off. I only see a few micro scratches by the pivot. I don’t know what they use now but the description on their site still shows titanium nitride.

Definately a differen process than what the alaskan guide knives recieve ,I've always wondered what kind of coating the buckcote and what was later called ion - fusion coatings were?veryinteresteing to me .

Back