Black Oxide

Hello everyone, I'm just wondering if you guys would know what the advantages are of getting a black oxide finish on a knife or multi-tool. Reason being, im planning on purchasing a Leatherman Charge Xti this weekend and noticed that several online retailers are offering a Black oxide variation. Aesthetically does black oxide look better than the regular Ti? Can anyone provide any pictures for comparison between the two? Thanks for your help. -SK

I would have preferred the black oxide if I have had a change to get.
I like the idea of having something different from others. That or the limited edition, camouflage version.

Regards
Claus

josekym said:
Does the black oxide coating thin or scratch-off over time/use? =)

i bought a charge and a blast in black oxide about 2-3 weeks ago and have used the charge almost daily. the coating does chip off over time (moreso for the charge that for the blast) but that was always an attraction for me towards coating knives/tools since it gives a more weathered look. another note; the coating appears to have been applied unevenly to one side. On the plain edge knife blade side the letters "leatherman charge" are sharp and clear, on the serrated edge side the letters are blurry from what appears to be too thick a coating. this hasn't really affected anything other than the visual appeal so it is only a minor gripe.

i think that aesthetically the black oxide does look better but it really depends on if you like shiny or more subdued.

I have the Blast and the Wave on Black Oxide finish and I Think those are my favorites tools because of the black finish.
It gives more "personality" to the tools and I like the tactical sheath too.
I know that some day it will chip off but it will make more interesting tool.
My advice, go for it, buy it as soon as possible.
You never can have too much Leathermans or Glock's.

Tango44 said:
I have the Blast and the Wave on Black Oxide finish and I Think those are my favorites tools because of the black finish.
It gives more "personality" to the tools and I like the tactical sheath too.
Yeah, I don't think they sell the tactical sheath separately. :confused: I think you have to buy the Black Oxide version to get the tactical sheath. Does anyone know if this is the case? I'd like to purchase just the tactical sheath if possible.

Could someone please post some pics of their black oxide charges? Thanks in advance. :)

Back