Blackies....

Bruce Culberson

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Went out last weekend chasing black bears with some friends. Here is the one I got:

2010bear003.jpg

2010bear004.jpg

Bruce

Looks like the pelt is in great shape for a spring bear. Over bait or spot and stalk?--KV

Good job Bruce, young enough to be good eating.

Now do me a favour and de-farmer the brim's on your ballcaps, I had a flashback to rural saskatchewan seeing yours.

Take care man.

Brad "the butcher";8227794 said:

Now do me a favour and de-farmer the brim's on your ballcaps, I had a flashback to rural saskatchewan seeing yours.

Take care man.

I'm sure others noticed, but you were the first to comment:D. We were wearing the hats for a joke. I found them a couple weeks ago, both are in new condition and I would have to guess from the mid '80's by the straight brim, and high foamy top!

Over bait or spot and stalk?--KV

Spotted him from about 450 yards and closed in to ~125 for the shot, 1 shot from the 7-08 Ackley with 140 Accubonds.

What do you do with that once beautiful animal? Do you eat the meat?

Well first I do a bunch of knife testing by skinning, de-boning, and butchering the animal. I'll sell the hide to pay for more knife making supplies. Sometimes I eat the meat, but if the freezer is full of something better like moose or deer then I'll use it for dog food (kill a bear save a horse:))

Bruce

OUTSTANDING Bruce, nice bag!!! Got a buddy here that ask me if I want to go with him in a week for a Blackie...

Ive never heard of anyone eating moose.
How is it?.
Is it better than elk?.

How is it?.
Is it better than elk?.

Moose is awesome! Especially if you get a 2 or 3 year old bull, they are nice & tender. I've only had elk twice. Elk has finer grained meat and is maybe less gamey (although moose is pretty mild too).

But them hats are stealing its thunder!

I keep threatening my GF that I'm going to wear it to one of our softball games:D

Bruce,
Great bear! I for one love bear meat cooked on the grill.I have to wait untill September for our season to open.

Mike

How is it?.
Is it better than elk?.

I don't know if I would say moose is better than elk, but I do know they are both terrific animals to eat. If I have elk or moose in the freezer, the venison and beef get given to other families and friends to eat. Of course the dog gets a little too...

Brad "the butcher";8227794 said:

Take care man.

Nice little blackie. The hats do add a nice touch :cool: I still have probably 15-20 hats like those. Never been worn, for obvious reasons

i gota ask what does bear taste like,we dont have bear,moose or elk here,i have tasted elk but never bear or moose,just wondering

Bear tastes fine so long as they aren't eating trash, catch 'em when they've been in the berry patches, I want some bear ribs now.

Moose is like beef, but better, doesn't taste like it's little cousins.

Back