"Blacking Out" a stainless blade

I don't flash or even remove a folder in public, so as not to frighten the uninitiated. Out of sight is out of mind. With the idea of living a quiet life, having a large EDC and not scaring the hell out of people, I wish to lower the "flash" signature on my Manix by blacking out the blade. I have seen blacked stainless Spyderco blades before, the Native comes immediately to mind. I eyeballed my Birchwood Casey Perma Blue that I used on a tomahawk and the info said that Perma Blue does NOT work on stainless. Spray paint sounds sloppy/cheesey and a down grade to a good folder. I imagine that the factory blacking is a baked on finish applied prior to final assembly. Any comments/tips/insight in regard on this topic is appreciated. Thanks.

You can try something like Gun-Kote, but you might want to check with Spyderco first to ensure that the 325 degree temperature needed to cure the product won't adversely affect the heat treat.

Why not buy a black Military, or one of the others that comes with a black
blade? Avoid the mess and possible problems.

there's also a black paramilitary. I think gun-koting should be ok...a lot of guys gun-kote their Striders (S30v) so should be alright.....Spyderco should give the final ok though....

You might want to take a glance at post #5 in this thread on the Spyderco factory forum. Have not tried it myself, but sounds like it might serve your purpose of reducing "flash" and do so without the "mall ninja" / "operator wannabe" connotations some folks attach to a black blade.

I've done some thinking after seeing these comments. I came to the conclusion of "tough titty" about the public. There will ALWAYS be someone in society with a bug up their nose about SOMETHING. I am not a criminal, do not harm or threaten anyone, and a visible folder is perfectly legal in Canada. I'm tired of wasting time/thought/worry about a non issue ;) ....Now to remove the cams from my bike engine and reshim the valves.:D

Back