Blade coating

Hey there fellow SURVIVE!rs,

Anyone out there have a coated GSO? I asking about GSO's specifically because these used a DLC coating as opposed to the cerekote on the SK line, right?

What are your thoughts on this coating? How has it stood up to use? Is the coating thinner and smoother than coating on other knives you have? Do you like the coating?

Thanks!

Hey there fellow SURVIVE!rs,

Anyone out there have a coated GSO? I asking about GSO's specifically because these used a DLC coating as opposed to the cerekote on the SK line, right?

What are your thoughts on this coating? How has it stood up to use? Is the coating thinner and smoother than coating on other knives you have? Do you like the coating?

Thanks!

Silver I actually have one being delivered tomorrow, and I suspect from the same person your looking at getting it from, so I'll let you know once I get it. That being said however I have a PM2 with the DLC coating and I can tell you that it's tough as nails. I had Esee's and a cold steels with coatings and they were terrible, showed wear after first use or two. My PM2 however is like new and yes the DLC is much thinner and much smoother than on other knives. My buddy who works construction uses his DLC PM2 for work, cutting rope, boxes, very abrasive filter fabric, etc and his DLC is almost untouched. I said I was never going to get another coated blade unless it was DLC so when this came up I jumped on it. A Survive! Knife in CPM 3V with significantly increased corrosion resistence?! YES PLEASE!

I thought they did a good job on the DLC coating. I find it a little overkill as 3V doesn't need anymore corrosion resistance, but has a nice aesthetic. I wouldn't compare it to any of the current coating offerings on the market from other manufacturers.

Thank you both.

Poromenos, what model do you have coming in? Also, what is a PM2? I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think about your new knife... maybe even some pics!

Do you find that the coating effects slicing at all IE, material drag on the blade ?

Thank you both.

Poromenos, what model do you have coming in? Also, what is a PM2? I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think about your new knife... maybe even some pics!
Spyderco ParaMilitary 2
Do you find that the coating effects slicing at all IE, material drag on the blade ?
I've had Spyderco's dlc coated blades and it doesn't effect anything at all as far as cutting. I really liked it actually. The only thing that ever really bothered the coating was my diamond stones. I work construction and was regularly cutting up to 1" manilla and nylon rope, boxes, plastic strapping.. all kinds of stuff. DLC gets a big :thumbup: from me

I have a GSO 5.1 coming in with a black DLC coated blade. A PM2 is a Spyderco Paramilitary 2, which I have in digicam g10 and DLC blade. The DLC should not have any effect on drag or cutting performance, and if it does only a machine/computer should be able to tell the difference. Unlike other conventional coatings, which add thickness to the blade, the DLC is added on the micron level, usually between 2-5 microns thick. So basically any drag during cutting will be so small you won't be able to tell the difference, unless your a cyborg. DLC also doesn't chip, peel or crack since it's added by a process called PVD so it should just very slowly wear thinner and thinner.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe DLC only coats in black. I believe the gold coating used on the Survive! Knives is another PVD coating, zirconium nI trade based. Same concept though.

Hope this helps. Will definitely let you know my opinion when I get it.

compared to coatings from mainstream producers, none at all. Not like ESEE and Becker where the coating is a detriment to slicing.

I love all the information, thanks.

Enjoy that 5.1! I was looking at a few different models on the big auction site. There is one guy who is selling a bunch of models all with FDE DLC coating. Maybe he has the name wrong. In the pics they look almost golden, but I'm sure they look different in person. The one I really wanted sold already, so I may never have a coated GSO and that is fine.

It is definitely a seller's market out there and I just couldn't make myself pay the same or more for something I could get directly from Guy in a month or 2.

Enjoy that 5.1! I was looking at a few different models on the big auction site. There is one guy who is selling a bunch of models all with FDE DLC coating. Maybe he has the name wrong. In the pics they look almost golden, but I'm sure they look different in person. The one I really wanted sold already, so I may never have a coated GSO and that is fine.

It is definitely a seller's market out there and I just couldn't make myself pay the same or more for something I could get directly from Guy in a month or 2.

I have a 7/7 with the FDE coating. I can tell you the coating is tough and I have used the crap out of it. I can see NO wear as of yet and don't think I will for a long time. As far as the color, it is goldish. I hope this helps.

After quite a bit of use it doesn't wear down. Tried to show how smooth it is in terms of finish with my 4.1
JuqMAiU.png

Silver it's too bad you missed that GSO 5 as it was really only priced $10 more than on the Survive site I think .

Oh I know... been feeling like a chump ever since...

Oh well. I guess this means I'll go directly through the official site. I'll be picking different colors anyway and I'd like G10 handles instead of micarta as well.

SN, Just out of curiosity why are you wanting the G10 over the Micarta? I think for the bigger blades Micarta is the way to go. I have the 3.5 in G10 and it is very slick in comparison to the micarta on my other Sk blades. In the smaller blade it's not a big deal, but in a large blade that you plan on using in all conditions it would be a detriment IMO. Just thought I would add my opinion here after using both while in wet conditions.

SN, Just out of curiosity why are you wanting the G10 over the Micarta? I think for the bigger blades Micarta is the way to go. I have the 3.5 in G10 and it is very slick in comparison to the micarta on my other Sk blades. In the smaller blade it's not a big deal, but in a large blade that you plan on using in all conditions it would be a detriment IMO. Just thought I would add my opinion here after using both while in wet conditions.
I appreciate the input from your experience. To be honest, I haven't handled S!K micarta or G10, but had heard that their G10 isn't as slick as some. You don't happen to own any Becker knives do you? I'd love to hear a comparison between the G10 and Becker zytel.

Thanks. I was going to wait for the 5.1 as well because I didn't want to pay the markup but when the DLC blade popped up I had to jump on it because I don't think they'll be offering DLC coatings on blades for the near future.

And I would def go with micarta on the bigger blades. I have a 4.1 in G10 and it can be a little slick, wouldn't want a heavier blade with g10.

I appreciate the input from your experience. To be honest, I haven't handled S!K micarta or G10, but had heard that their G10 isn't as slick as some. You don't happen to own any Becker knives do you? I'd love to hear a comparison between the G10 and Becker zytel.

I have a BK 16 as far as hand feel the Zytel is more textured than the SK! G10 and less slick, but the G10 IMO could be sanded with some sandpaper to give it some extra bite and would be way better and closer to my personal preference. You milage will vary. I will be buying a set of micarta scales for my 3.5 and at that time I might play with the G10 to see if I can "scuff" it up.
I know a lot of people like the G10 and you can get it in really nice colors, but for me its a tool and I want it to be functional first, the scale colors are not that important to me. The hand feel and amount of grip is more important to me. Again, all this is my preference and I'm not knocking anyone for the way they like their knives.

Back