Blade Counterfeiting Interesting Article

Skimmed it but if it isn't easily rolled into the process and doesn't require a user to claim it then I see this as burdening buyers with a registration process anytime the knife changes hands. It may be a registration that is easy to verify and difficult to counterfeit but it just seems like more work than it is worth. This also doesn't look to be terribly easy to apply to anything outside of custom knives it wouldn't help production makers from the looks of it.

Blockchain is the new snake oil, reportedly solving all our woes. It rarely does, if ever.

It hardly even works on distributed $ systems; as soon as a hacker owns 51% of the processing power, you're owned (it fails completely).
But of course I'm sure someone will try to IPO this with some VC any day... just more nonsense.

There have been very few hacks to crypto currency but it just doesn’t translate to a good application with registering physical goods

There are ways to create a system to ensure authenticity, but the expense would be too great because there are too many people who do not care if its fake. All the system would do is reassure those who want a real one, while those who want a cheaper fake will go about their business regardless.

Hi, I was asked by one of our community memebers to come in here and answer some questions. So I guess I sell snake oil :)

Skimmed it but if it isn't easily rolled into the process and doesn't require a user to claim it then I see this as burdening buyers with a registration process anytime the knife changes hands. It may be a registration that is easy to verify and difficult to counterfeit but it just seems like more work than it is worth. This also doesn't look to be terribly easy to apply to anything outside of custom knives it wouldn't help production makers from the looks of it.

Several makers have used serial numbers on their blades. while that is not the most effective way of preventing fraud. However, replacing a serial number with the holding address for a traceability/verification token you could add in specs like exact weight, hardness factors for the steel etc to make checking it fairly easy.

There are ways to create a system to ensure authenticity, but the expense would be too great because there are too many people who do not care if its fake. All the system would do is reassure those who want a real one, while those who want a cheaper fake will go about their business regardless.

In this case an entire production batch with tight specs and say serial numbers replaced with a holding address would cost less than 25$ plus a bit of work compiling the information you want to add to it. That is making the assumption that costs for adding the serial number vs a verification address would not differ overly. For an artisan maker the difference would be a bit more however they have it as an additional marketing tool where they can use it to link to their sites/profiles/webshops etc.

That article was a thinly disguised add to promote their proprietary cryptocurrency.

Flatout wrong, it's being fully opensourced prior to launch which with luck will be the end of this quarter. There will even be a playground for vendors where they can try what will and won't work for them on our testnet.

Blockchain is the new snake oil, reportedly solving all our woes. It rarely does, if ever.

It hardly even works on distributed $ systems; as soon as a hacker owns 51% of the processing power, you're owned (it fails completely).
But of course I'm sure someone will try to IPO this with some VC any day... just more nonsense.

Yes, a lot of it is snakeoil, particularly the ones that want you to invest upfront. In that way it's similar to the .com bubble of the 90s and early 00s. There is a ton a crap in there but if you do some solid research there are several potential Amazon or Alphabet level returns. As to 51% of the hashrate being able to hose a network, that is only true to some extent, there are several currently working systems on different projects that prevent backdating changes.

Last edited:
I get emails at work all the time from Blockchain stating they are the way of the future, that we should sign up with them now, and that every major corporation (with Walmart leading the way as an early adopter) will require it.

So far they haven’t required it.

"Ease of use: With Raptoreum token creation is extremely easy, but in order to create a token you need some Raptoreum coins."

"With WeUseRTM you can create a token with a few clicks and pay for it easily with a Credit Card"

My mistake for calling it cryptocurrency. It guess it's a blockchain service, for which the vendors will have to pay a nominal fee. It's not uncommon for payment to be required to access the full range of options available on a tech service or website. An example of this might be bladeforums, where advertising one's services requires a certain membership level.

Wow, WTF???? I'm so out of the loop I didn't know there was a loop.

Will someone translate the above to English, preferably southern US patois?

To sum up the article in simplest terms I can at the moment it is basically saying turn your product registration into a cryptocurrency/blockchain and in the subsequent replies it also indicates that this digital registration, which also requires specific software to access, can hold details about the product to aid in product validation. I have some cryptocurrency so I am not avidly opposed to the general idea of blockchain but the requirements of a blockchain product registration, which is what this really is, do not provide, in my personal opinion, enough benefit to make it a worthwhile endeavor.

Just in case some terms are still confusing:
cryptocurrency = digital money think of it like a prepaid dedit card mixed with stocks that can be spent at select places like cash or sold and turned into cash.
blockchain = the technology behind cryptocurrencies which can be used for other applications ie digital product registration

Personally I like the visibility of a serial number. It’s something that I can physically see and adds to the uniqueness of a given product.

Back