Blade Cut out....Please settle

I just checked the Gurkha House web page looking for an explanation of the cresent-shaped cutout in the blade. The forum presented a "definitive" answer saying it represented a fertility sysmbol for Shiva. On the "Photo" page the explanation given was that it represented Shiva's trident.

Please enlighten
Thanks

Let's see... long, spear-like, Trident, etc. Could be a Phallic symbol(tm).
smile.gif

------------------
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
-Derek Bok

I was always told that they believe that the knife has to draw blood when ever it is taken out of the sheath. The notch suposedly is to nick your finger if nothing else is available.

Maybe,

MNH,

I always thought the same thing. An Army Major I know has one of the issued Gurkha knives (presented as a gift). I asked about the "blood" thing. If it were true, as he asked the same question, there would be a lot of anemic Gurkhas. So, a "blood notch" it isn't. More of a decoration/tradition.

Hey guys: I'm back from Nicaragua, and I'm on Bladeforums. Hmmm. Well, actually, my wife INSISTED that I get on for a few minutes. Anyway, here's the notch answer:

It's called a Cho, and it does represent Shiva's trident. Now, as for using the trident to prick your finger, people may do that (I'm sure some do, as I've heard this story repeated many times from first-hand experience with a Gurkha). However, the reason the Cho is there is because it represents Shiva's Trident. No other reason. And as for Christian's comment about the phallic nature of the Cho, there is some validity to that . . . I'll definitely find out more when I have a chance to talk to Lalit.

Until then, here is a re-print of some "funny" explanations for the cho that were collected by a customer of mine - enjoy:

"The dimple in the middle indicates the blade's quality. se how long the dimple is on this one"

"It's used for cutting barbed wire. I don't have the sheath handy, or I'd show you."

"During manufacturing, they bend the blade and that cut is for stress relief."

"Stops the blade from penetrating too far."

"The notch catches the intestines and causes disembowlment during withdrawl."

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Back