Blade damage from repeated hard openings?

Instead of asking in the current Manix maxamet thread I'll ask here. The question isn't specifically about a Manix 2, but more about really hard steels like maxamet that doesn't seem to appreciate impacts very much.

Can a high hardness blade get damaged over time with hard openings? Flicking it open, maybe with some help from the wrist, or using a flipper or wave opener.

I dont see how opening very hard is going to damage something like Maxamet. The impact the blade endures is happening along a flat surface at the thickest part of the stock.

With that said though, a caveat perhaps, my mind keeps going back to one person I know... with the way he whips a knife open, with all of his strength, his whole arm loads up like a whip... I'm surprised the stop pin doesn't break... I mean he has to get his footing for this. Its ridiculous.

Anything is possible if you try, I suppose, but I wouldn't think that its something to be concerned with.

Any knife will suffer damage over time from repeated impacts, whether they come from hard openings, spine whacking or batonning with a hammer. I know a guy that broke a hundred pound anvil with a sixteen pound hammer. Nothing is indestructible (or idiot-proof for that matter).

It definitely will, the real question is how long it will take all things considered. My own circumstances have never required that kind of use/abuse, and the occasional times I do it I have experienced no problems. I also have enough of a feel for doing it that a full force assault on it is not necessary although definitely not as showy though. Rarely do I not use the stud, plate, hole,bump, tie wrap etc. It kinda reminds me of people snapping a revolver closed, but that's just me.;)

Super unlikely. It's all in the way something is hit. Take for example antique Japanese swords. Many of those swords were actually very brittle and Samurai would have to practice hitting something straight and clean. When used properly the sword lasts hundreds of years and thousands of strikes.

The lock mechanism is going to strike the blade perfectly center especially with the lock on the Manix.

It's the rest of the parts in the lock that will wear out first. I took apart a Cold Steel recon last night that had a tiny little bit of play. The stop pin was badly worn. I turned the pin around and it was like new again.

Back